the most overhyped oss app ever

Story: Nvu 0.81 releasedTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
MESMERIC

Feb 10, 2005
8:24 AM EDT
give me a break.

nvu = your mozilla composer now with pretty buttons

now with upload! wooah! now with tables that look a lil bit better! wooah! now with language support for gaelic! wooah!

ah well as long as Michael from Linspire can give them some pocket money they will carry on developing on such snail-crawl pace.

had someone talented like Blake Ross from Firefox taken lead we would see a truly glorious app - that would match the hype.

pat

Feb 10, 2005
9:21 AM EDT
Tell us what you have done for the Linux desktop.
mdl

Feb 10, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
I use nvu.

I like it.

otis_2

Feb 10, 2005
1:01 PM EDT
I suppose it depends on what you use it for.

I have been using Nvu for a long time (in both Windows and Linux) because I save (and edit) a lot of news clips. It's pretty simple stuff really, compared to authoring web sites and such, but I find it very usefull.

And anyway, I don't think it's quite fair to fault developers for their work when it costs you nothing to download and install it.

:)

MESMERIC

Feb 10, 2005
4:58 PM EDT
"Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver "

--

comparing mozilla-composer-with-pretty-buttons to dreamweaver? come on ...

in windows it is pretty slow - try switching from both preview pane and code pane. even frontpage has drop-down tag listing (intellisense) - does nvu have that?

i wouldn't have a problem if it was low-key and they kept quietly about their business like firefox did until they were finally ready - with a hype that matched its promises.

yes firefox is a rival to internet explorer - no more than that - it's is 100x better.

otherwise false propaganda won't get linux apps anywhere but ridicule from window users.

gimp does not overhype. inkscape does not overhype. most oss projects do not overhype. take that french guy benoit - he produced a truly outstanding application: gambas no boasting - no hype - and yet he delivers with much humility.

@pat : good question what have i done for the linux desktop? probably more than you - probably less than you - who knows.

i can only keep at it.

but be sure of one thing i will never gloat over any partial achievements or suck away money from sponsors enjoying nice holidays without providing results.

mariuz

Feb 11, 2005
7:57 AM EDT
Have you filled some bugs or feature requests on nvu site or on

http://glazman.org/weblog/dotclear/index.php?Nvu

I think you should help developers in any form : emails, money ..etc
MESMERIC

Feb 11, 2005
9:14 AM EDT
more money? i am sure they have had all the support, emails, and cheques they needed so far and possibly more - its not as if they ever run of publicity. publicity is what generates donations and attracts public support but despite all that - the project still crawls for how long? over 2 years?

i don't deny the fact i have no absolutely no right to criticize if am not doing something about it - or even attempting something entirely different.

all right then - i will give the latter my very best shot ..

competition ... sweet :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!