Who cares if...

Story: Linux World Boston - Hijacking a CommunityTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
incinerator

Feb 22, 2005
4:42 AM EDT
Please don't take this personally, but you are worrying about things that imho are not really worth worrying about.

I don't see what the problem is with companies like Aaaargh, Dull and others riding along on the GNU/Linux hype but not committing to it? It is good that you pointed out that Dull issue but so what? You are free to buy your computers from someone else, so where's the problem? And if Dull thinks it a good idea damaging their image with such a stupid PR-hoax, let them do it. I can't get bothered to care.

If Linux World has become to pro-corporate and you don't like it, why are you still going there? I don't need these companies to get my GNU/Linux running. Neither do I need to listen to their marketing guys/galz. So now? Well, go to other true community meetings of course. Preferably ones that are not set up by big companies, no matter who. I'd suggest a local LUG meeting for starters. True community as straight as they come.

Who owns Linux? What a silly question. Who cares about who owns Linux? Only silly journalists, analysts (basically an analyst is a journalist, just worse) and businessmen. We true believers know the deal. The wise man holds his tongue because only the stupid know the truth.

Also, choosing the word hijack is not a good choice. If I hijack someone that usually happens quite rapidly and without that victims consent. Well, if gazillions of sheep decide to follow those evil companies along to Linux World and worship them that cannot be called hijacking, can it? If a community decides to submit themselves to corporate propaganda they probably deserve it. If you are a true believer you will spend your days swimming in a nice hotel's swimming pool at ApacheCon anyways.

Can a company really "steal" a community and (ab)use them for their purposes? Well, I guess they can. Politicians can, that's proven by history. Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large crowds. But hey, I thought us Linux geeks were all uber-intelligent and nerdy geniusses? Can we get fooled so easily like the sheep reading The Sun/Bildzeitung/ everyday? Nah, I don't think so. I even managed to get away from the Gentoo hype and use a serious distro instead, and I am not a genius at all.

Complaining about Linux World being pro-corporate is fine for me, I really appreciate that. But please don't whine around, there's plenty alternatives. There is more companies than Aaaargh, Dull, whatever. Don't you believe in competition? If you don't like a company don't buy from them, period.

Do you really think the comminity(ies) will blindly follow any company? Look at RedHat's Fedora Project, that's a good example how not to try it. I have my doubts about it. Even it would happen, people are always free to leave that community and go somewhere else, so what's the deal?

Cheers, Dominik
devnet

Feb 22, 2005
11:36 AM EDT
I thought it was a really good article that expressed concerns in a valid way.

Does he really think the community will blindly follow any company? Yep and I don't blame him. Look at Ubuntu, SuSe, and Fedora/Red Hat. The minute business begins to seep into anything, their agenda is put before that of the FOSS.

Just because someone follows a corporation doesn't mean they are sheep nor are they evil...they're just misled...eventually they'll come around or else they won't be the people we want in the community anyway :)
PaulFerris

Feb 22, 2005
12:17 PM EDT
The community is a pretty wide diverse thing -- I call it a collective sometimes, it's so non-homogenous.

Witness what happened last October 2 in Columbus, for example.

Over 300 people in columbus created a show that was incredible.

And it was a community event that I'd have a really hard time seeing anyone steal.
SFN

Feb 22, 2005
12:39 PM EDT
"I call it a collective sometimes"

You're foolin' yourself. We're livin' in a dictatorship!
PaulFerris

Feb 22, 2005
2:49 PM EDT
SFN: You don't Frighten ME EEnglish Pig-Dogs!

(Don't get me started, or I will Taunt you a second time).
tadelste

Feb 22, 2005
6:19 PM EDT
Dom:

Sorry, but I can't follow this thread and get much out of it. Paul's comments make some sense. Can you state in one sentence or a couple of bullet points what you want me to know? You start off with "don't take this personally" and express concern for my psychological state - I guess - but other than that I don't recognize your points as having much to do with the article.

To recap, the article is about Linux World and the emotional roller-coaster ride associated with hype from vendors over the years. Separate the vendors from the people doing the work and you find a solid group of people making steady progress; building Linux and adding value. Google recognized the contribution and kept its feet in both worlds - the technology world and the corporate world.

So other than literary opinions on my writing, what are you saying?

PaulFerris

Feb 23, 2005
5:00 AM EDT
tom: "Paul's comments make some sense" ?!?

Monty Python always makes sense....

;)
SFN

Feb 23, 2005
5:20 AM EDT
Splitter!
Koriel

Feb 23, 2005
7:07 AM EDT
My mother never understood Monty Python

My father and i would be sitting in front of the tv roaring with laughter and there she was stonefaced saying this is just silly nonsense.

And it was but what a hoot, i still feel sorry for all those mountaineers who were inexplicably lost scaling the twin peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!