It is not a replacement

Story: Tutorial: Inkscape: Vector Graphics For LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Abe

Feb 22, 2005
8:55 AM EDT
Rob is suggesting that Inkscape will replace The GIMP, I don't think so. They actually supplement each other to create a powerful package. Since both are Open Source (I am assuming both GPLed), I think they make an excellent Vector/Raster graphics package. One more thing, Rob didn't comment or even mention Sodi Podi, which in my opinion, is a very powerful vector graphic applications yet easy to use and has all Inkscape features and capabilities plus a lot more. It would be nice to see a comparison between the two.
dinotrac

Feb 22, 2005
9:41 AM EDT
If I recall, inkscape is the bastard child of sodipodi, and it's developers are former sodipodi developers.
devnet

Feb 22, 2005
10:08 AM EDT
I like it quite a bit. I use it along side of many different graphics tools :P
MESMERIC

Feb 22, 2005
8:56 PM EDT
Corel Draw!! .. Corel Draw!! .. Corel Draw!! .. Corel Draw!! .. Corel Draw!!

If the program wasn't so unstable and quirky in some corners I would say it was the best vector graphic app ever.

It's nice to see the folks of Inkscape pushing their product and all. I just hope one day we get very close to Corel Draw's brilliant over functionality Much like Gimp is nearing Photoshop.

When given a choice over raster I am usually stuck what to choose Photoshop or Gimp? But when given a choice over vector graphics its Corel Draw 11 under Win4Lin all the way .. without hesitation.
tuxchick

Feb 22, 2005
9:48 PM EDT
I loved Corel Draw, used to use it all the time. Is Corel still in business?? Anyone remember Ransom Love? Oh wait, that was Caldera. Too many corpses littering the Linux Trail.
phubert

Feb 23, 2005
7:20 AM EDT
Yes, Corel is still in business .. some venture capitalists took it private, though.

But, "in business" doesn't mean "on the radar", it seems.

Dell still bundles WordPerfect, etc. on its low-end PC's...

Try http://www.corel.com

I think the Linux community lost interest in Corel when they caved to Microsoft...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!