Corrections and comments.

Story: Linux Threat Posed by Microsoft and Sun: In Your DreamsTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
number6x

Feb 28, 2005
6:16 AM EDT
Its Darl McBride, not Daryl McBride. Yes it is an uncommon name, but we can at least be accurate.

"development goodwill" should be "developing goodwill".

You article points out one of those catch 22, horns of a dilemma situations for Sun's investors.

On the one hand, if Jonathan Schwartz believes what he is saying, how can someone so completely ignorant of the industry be in charge of a major computer company? Why should anyone invest in or trust his companies products?

On the other hand, if Mr. Schwartz actually does know that almost everything he has said is false and untrue, why should anyone invest in or trust his companies products?

Either way the only rational choice Mr. Schwartz is leaving investors and customers is to avoid Sun like the plague! This man, and his business plan should be rejected before he does more damage.
tadelste

Feb 28, 2005
6:54 AM EDT
Thanks for the corrections, I'll pass them on to Dave.

I think your point is well articulated. I recently read his profile and wondered how this guy ever got into the position.

Regarding the catch 22, I don't know the answer - I just see the results. Either way, it's not pretty. I think of the job loses and wonder if he's getting a bonus added to that mid seven figure compensation package for staff reductions.

Does that make sense? I wonder.
peragrin

Feb 28, 2005
8:47 AM EDT
The good news is Sun owns one. The bad news is that Dell doesn’t own one, HP doesn’t own one and IBM doesn’t own one. They may have to acquire one.

IBM doesn't want one. They have stated this already. Hence why they helped Novell buy Suse. IBM is working with Red Hat and Novell. Expect IBM to push LSB though So they can have one app run and install smoothly on both.

I am waiting for HP to buy xandros, or something similar, Dell might as well but not till the last minute. I can see HP going to a veritcal market like Apple is.

My Question. How can Apple keep high margins on Hardware. Because they control the hardware and Software. HP could tailor a Linux distro to it's hardware to make sure it works smoothly. Cut kernel bloat by decreasing the number of drivers installed automatically, etc.
tadelste

Feb 28, 2005
10:31 AM EDT
Dell could also boost margins by going with Red Hat's desktop and offering drivers for their consumer products. Then, they would have offerings similar to Apple - etc.
indrid

Feb 28, 2005
12:39 PM EDT
Linux is not UNIX and it definitely was not the first UNIX operating system to run on the x86 platform. Those that did include Xenix, UnixWare, AT&T, FreeBSD and the earlier Sun versions. All are older and predate Linux.

FreeBSD is not UNIX either, modern versions are all based on 4.4 BSD lite, which contain no UNIX source-code. The FreeBSD project, also does not predate Linux.
peragrin

Feb 28, 2005
1:50 PM EDT
Tadelste: I am not denying Dell could i doin't think they would.

Dell doesn't have the internal software developers that HP does. HP could very easily write specific drivers and software to take advantage of their hardware. It could be mainly internal and you wouldn't know the product exsisted until it's release.

If anyone does this I see HP doing this first Dell later on. Dell doesn't lead anything but making tons of product cheaply.
tuxchick

Feb 28, 2005
3:12 PM EDT
"Dell doesn't lead anything but making tons of product cheaply." And borking hardware for no reason other than locking customers in, like their infamous re-arranging of the pinouts on the power supplies. What fun when you replace it with a stock PS!

Oh yeah, and lying about having a Linux product line.
tadelste

Feb 28, 2005
4:20 PM EDT
I have to smile since I agree totally with both your posts about Dell.

Now, the FreeBSD post is news. Last time I looked, I thought it originated from the original BSD project. BSD came from AT&T originally. So, BSD is not UNIX?

I'll go look at the history again. Thanks!

salparadise

Mar 01, 2005
12:46 AM EDT
So the power of Linux lies in it's de-centralised structure. This structure also presents a major threat to centralist, top down monopoly like companies. You just can't control Linux, too many brains behind it, too many radical types within it and too many companies involved. And what's more, most of the people within the Linux community are intelligent informed people, who have already seen through the adverts and the hype.

So all you have left is, swallow the old pride and join in, or stand on the sidelines slinging mud.

peragrin

Mar 01, 2005
3:52 AM EDT
Tadelste: As I know it(take with grain of salt) the original BSD was an internal rewrite of AT&T Unix due to licensing problems. Unix developers and BSD developers though shared a lot of ideas, though they mainly flowed BSD => UNIX. AT&T thought the opposite sued, was forced to settle when more BSD code was found in UNIX than the other way around.(Groklaw had the settlement online)

Salparadise: The lInux communtiy has seen through the hype, the rest of the public are still under Microsoft Mind Control Server(TM) MMCS. MMCS is powered by MIcrosoft Marketing.
cjcox

Mar 02, 2005
2:48 PM EDT
Prediction Dell acquires Sun.

I have my reasons for this prediction.
tuxchick

Mar 02, 2005
10:03 PM EDT
cjcox, will we be treated to a public defriending of McMouth and Schwartz? Like in the old TV series "Branded." Rip off all their insignia, break their muskets, and drum them out of the fort.

It seems an odd prediction, as Dell is completely opposite of Sun- fast, cheap, invent nothing but only package & re-sell. It's hard to imagine them knowing what to do with all the (remaining) Sun talent and R&D.
peragrin

Mar 03, 2005
2:52 AM EDT
Tuxchick, well actually if Dell hired a smart manager with goals, All that talent wouldn't be wasted.

Of course this is Dell so only the cheapest manager would do.
cjcox

Mar 15, 2005
3:17 PM EDT
Sun radically started changing some things around. IF (and only if) they are serious about their x86_64 line (Opteron) products, then Sun has to change the way they look at hw. This includes adapting to a high volume model similar to HP and Dell. Dell does this best, so Sun will likely try to mimic Dell in this regard (though HP produces a better quality product IMHO). So Sun will start looking more like Dell with regards to the way they do business (at least with the AMD product line). If the Opteron stance does end up displacing their SPARC line (I think likely, SPARC is long in tooth... needs a more radical refresh) then Sun will look even more and more like Dell.

What does Dell lack? Obviously AMD. Easiest way to get into the AMD game for Dell just might be through aquistion. May mean that Sun needs to struggle a bit more in order to become an attractive buy.. but Dell probably can't move on it now... Sun as they are today isn't a good fit with Dell. It's what they might become that could be a good fit. Now if AMD falls off the face of the earth... anything is possible, all of this isn't going to happen. My guess is that Sun will purchase the AMD technology if there is an issue there though. Dell loves Microsoft, Sun loves Microsoft (at least for another 10 years or so)... again... this is a reasonable match up. I know there are engineers at Dell that love Linux, but management/marketing has always portrayed a fairly negative Linux point of view (due to their deep love affair with Microsoft no doubt).

Sun is moving toward, fast, cheap, invent nothing (but heavily embrace and extend Opteron!).

It's just a prediction. I can probably come up with a kazillion other equally fallible predictions :)

The politics on why Dell doesn't do Opteron is thick. The politics on why Sun invests twice what they get back on SPARC is thick. The politics on why Sun and Microsoft are partnering is thick.

Thick politics == volatility and radical change

Let's assume somethings (and some crystal ball/spin):

Dell doesn't do AMD ---> Dell is 0wn3d by Intel. Intel doesn't do 64bit ---> Microsoft throws AMD a bone and really doesn't support it either. Microsoft starts supporting 64bit ---> Justifies 64bit computing. EM64T is not Intel's 64bit flagship ---> Intel is sailing on the Itanic right now. Only HP NEEDS Itanium (Intel) ---> Dell doesn't like HP. Microsoft and Sun bury their hatchet ---> Joining forces to fight a common foe (Linux). Dell can live with or without Linux ---> Microsoft they like. Sun pushes AMD technology ---> First 100+ Opteron platforms by end of 2006.

Dell doesn't have a high end story, Dell doesn't have an effective 64bit story ---> HP gains ground (at the low and high ends with AMD).

Dell + Sun + Microsoft fills in a lot of the gaps.

We'll see.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!