Absolutely Fantastic

Story: SimplyMEPIS 3.3 is Here!Total Replies: 19
Author Content
devnet

Mar 02, 2005
1:52 PM EDT
This version is fantastic...bootloader completely re-written...everything works out of the box. Had freevo up and running on it in minutes. KDE is redone and it ships with Gnome as well. This thing detects anything I throw at it.
mdl

Mar 02, 2005
3:53 PM EDT
Unfortunately, it did not detect what I threw at it. Mepis does not set up my display properly (unlike every other Linux distro I have tried... and there have been at least a dozen). Display has barrel distortion and is a couple of inches off center. Reported it after 2004.rc.2 but the problems still exists many versions later.

I fixed it by copying XF86Congig-4 from Kanotix to Mepis. Problem solved.

Then I thought: Why not just use Kanotix? So that is what I use now and am very happy with it.

Actually, Mepis is a good distro. It just doesn't do a good job with HW detection on my 3 year old, very ordinary box.
helios

Mar 03, 2005
6:02 AM EDT
devnet is as enthusiastic about Mepis as I am about PCLinuxOS...the last thing I want to do is get into a slogfest with him, besides...I value his blog and the last thing I want to find is an "incorrect password or login" when I go there (LOL).

I did the iso to disk magic with 3.3 last night and must admit it looks purty good. Big improvements with the nvidia graphic card (when is ati gonna get a frickin clue?) and the old problem of mplayer not being quite right when invoked to stream has been fixed as well. I currently have Xandros 3 on hdb and really only use is for storage (oh, no downloaded mp3's or screeners here...just boring old data files ;-). Methinks I will give 3.3 a test drive on the ol' hard drive and see how she runs. Live-cd's are really different than an hd presentation, regardless of what the authors say. BTW, I LOVE Kano's work. Bughunter X has aided me in converting one of the most staunch M$ users I have ever met. It was the immediate usb key drive showing up when plugged in that did it, of course PCLOS and Mepis do that to...will report back at YALB on my findings of mepis

helios
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2005
8:49 AM EDT
You know what I think would be cool? Thank you for asking, I'm happy to share. I'd like to see more energy put into improving existing distributions, instead of releasing a brand-new different one every day. It's nuts. This one does great installation, that one does great skins , that one does kewl Gnome, that there other one is fab with KDE, that 'un over there does peripheral devices like magic, and so one blah foo ad nauseum. One that does everything pretty well would make me happy- is that too much to ask?
helios

Mar 03, 2005
10:21 AM EDT
Tuxchick...that distro exists. It's called PCLinuxOS and if it isn't awarded distro of the year for 2005, then there just isn't any justice in the world of Linux. I have posted numerous times and in a plethera of places, singing the praises of PCLOS. Even though is is an rpm-based distro, Texstar has incorporated apt/synaptic within and it just frickin rocks. Downside?...just one: No included server, but with apache thats easy enough to fix. Anyway, give it a look. As a desktop distro, it blows the socks off of the enterprise releases and here is the kicker...its still rated at a preview release. I fully expect PCLOS 1.0 to wash my car for me.
robT

Mar 03, 2005
10:35 AM EDT
Tuxchick...that distro exists. It's called [INSERT FAVORITE DISTRO NAME HERE] and if it isn't awarded distro of the year for 2005, then there just isn't any justice in the world of Linux. I have posted numerous times and in a plethera of places, singing the praises of [INSERT FAVORITE DISTRO NAME HERE]. Even though is is an [INSERT PACKAGE MANAGEMENT TYPE HERE]-based distro, [INSERT NAME OF DEVELOPER HERE] has incorporated [INSERT OTHER GREAT PACKAGE MANAGEMENT TYPE HERE] within and it just frickin rocks. Downside?...just one: No included [INSERT MISSING PIECE(S) HERE], but with [INSERT FIX HERE] thats easy enough to fix. Anyway, give it a look. As a [INSERT DISTRO FOCUS HERE] distro, it blows the socks off of the enterprise releases and here is the kicker...its still rated at a preview release. I fully expect [INSERT FAVORITE DISTRO NAME AND NEXT RELEASE NUMBER/NAME HERE] to wash my car for me.

"So, why did he do this to Helios' post?" you might ask youself. I have no idea.
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2005
12:04 PM EDT
Can we put this in perspective? Yes, thank you for asking. (This is getting to be too much fun.) This is my wish list for Things That Should Work Right In Every Frikken Linux Ever:

- copy/cut and paste. PuhLEEEEZE can we get this most basic function to work consistently and correctly ALL the time - Hardware detection. Come on, the code is open! Borrow the good bits! It's legal and ethical! Really! - Security patches and updates. Forget the damned icon tweaks! No one cares! Make it fast and easy to apply security patches. - Fonts. 'nuff said.

That's enough for the moment, old granny's getting tired now. (bonus points to anyone who can identify the quote.)
PaulFerris

Mar 03, 2005
1:13 PM EDT
tuxchick: "old granny's getting tired now."

? DinoTrac ?

--FeriCyde
SeanConnery315

Mar 03, 2005
7:32 PM EDT
Geeze, that must be one of those old quotes from 'back in the day'. I certainly don't recognize it, and google queries returned some rather colorful results!

-Tool

dinotrac

Mar 03, 2005
8:00 PM EDT
tuxchick: "old granny's getting tired now."

Marlon Brando, dressed as a woman, at the end of Missouri Breaks.
PaulFerris

Mar 03, 2005
11:34 PM EDT
dino: No, I meant you said that quote in the *past* -- just typing it into the forum doesn't count.

As for your obvious fetish with Brando, i think you meant to post that to another site...

SeanConnery315

Mar 04, 2005
5:43 AM EDT
Wow - I got nothin' to top that Brando slam. Mr. Trac might consider hiring a hit against Ferris (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pc/world-of-warcraft/order-a-wo...). That's the best I can do!

-Tool
tuxchick

Mar 04, 2005
8:16 AM EDT
And dinotrac is the winnah! Brando's character, Robert E. Lee Clayton, said that when he thought his job of killing off a gang of rustlers was finished. Such a great movie. "Lips of Salome, eyes of Cleopatra"- said to his horse.
dinotrac

Mar 04, 2005
8:34 AM EDT
Thanks for the link, but Paulie certainly doesn't rate a level 32. Methinks a fly-swatter should do the job.
SeanConnery315

Mar 04, 2005
1:29 PM EDT
If memory serves me correctly, he kept a huge oversized wrench in my cube (he really took that 'tool' nickname seriously). So perhaps that would be more appropriate. And TuxChick, I still have no clue what you're talking about. Perhaps 'The Missouri Breaks' (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074906/)? I've never seen or heard of it, but I'm sure it's a classic since it's so old (was it even in color back then?).

:-)

-Tool
PaulFerris

Mar 05, 2005
12:32 AM EDT
I haven't seen this one either; I guess I'll have to check it out.

As for the flyswater: Are you implying that I'm some sort of human representation of a bug? At least I'm not extinct yet :-)

Tool: I still have that wrench, along with a copy of all of the fine Tool documentation (man page for tool, google search for tool, "The tool before Christmas, the web page for "Tool-a-way" -- it's like the archives). If you ever want copies, or think it should be posted to some more prominent location on the web, just let me know. Of course, it'd have to be a digital copy of the wrench, I'll need the real thing if you ever come knocking with your hit-man friends...

--FeriCyde
dinotrac

Mar 05, 2005
3:54 AM EDT
Paulie, Paulie, Paulie...

You've got it all wrong!!

In my culture, (Celtic-Germanic-Cherokee-lawyer-geek-displaced-southern-boy), the fly-swatter is a symbol of eternal friendship and glad tidings, not to mention a reminder to avoid getting squashed and cut to ribbons by fast moving grids.
helios

Mar 05, 2005
6:20 AM EDT
"So, why did he do this to Helios' post?" you might ask youself. I have no idea.

I think he got beat up for his lunch money alot when he was a kid. passive-agressive behavior in the classic form.
devnet

Mar 06, 2005
3:11 PM EDT
mdl:

Sorry to hear that. It detected an emachines from 1999 that I threw at it and had no problems. Then it detected an old Dell with a PII in it that had never detected by anything else...I was took after that. You can see how I'd rally behind it after those two installs.

I suspect that the developers probably don't know about that bug with your hardware...if you send me the specs, I'll post them to the mailing list..
Koriel

Mar 07, 2005
3:17 AM EDT
This is a complete guess to the quote

"That's enough for the moment, old granny's getting tired now"

But i think it was Angela Lansbury who said it in a "Company of Wolves".

Im a bit of a film buff or used to be, my memory is getting a bit foggy nowadays due to age i suspect, as im no longer able to remember as much useles trivia as i used to.

Im probably wrong but its my guess.

----------------------------

Its turns out i am wrong as their is no listing under imdb for it which is weird cause im usually always always right or so i keep telling my partner :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!