Some things can't be helped, some things can...

Story: To 64bit or 32bit?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
dinotrac

Mar 17, 2005
11:47 PM EDT
I've been running 64-bit SuSE since the beginning of the year. Mostly pretty nice, but there are oddities...

My KDE soundserver periodically throws a hissy fit, locks the system for a few seconds and throws up a pop-up to let me how pissed off it is. I just installed 3.4. Maybe that'll fix it.

There's no better way to discover whose code is 64-bit clean than to run a 64-bit environment.

One of the reasons I went 64 bit was to speed up video-editing

64 bit Cinelerra was a revelation. I was so much more productive on the new machine that the very way I worked and applied effects changed. Things I would have split up before got done together, making it much easier to see the cumulative effect. i estimate that my productivity increased a minimum of ten-fold.

But...when the folks from my church dropped off a tape on Friday to edit and burn to DVD for Sunday's service...

That's when I discovered that DVDAuthor wasn't entirely 64 bit friendly and that ffmpeg had some 64-bit wonkiness and that at least one mjpegtools program wouldn't run at all because it had been optimized with 32 bit assembly language.

Sigh.

Fortunately, Cinelerra let me do some of the things I wanted to do with ffmpeg (which I later upgraded and works fine), and running 32 bit versions of DVDAuthor and mjpegtools got me (eventually) past the problems.

Overall, though, it's pretty nice.

Most things work quite well, though, and most things I need to compile from source compile and run fine.

I'm 64 bit now, and 64 bit I plan to stay.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!