Political Compatibility Layer

Story: Java fallout: OpenOffice.org 2.0 and the FOSS communityTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
dthacker

Mar 28, 2005
7:33 AM EDT
So the OpenOffice team has ignored the political compatibility layer. I would say that the Linux community has just been told that it's more important for OpenOffice to get product out the door than to worry about meeting the "free software" standard. So I guess GNU/Linux is not really seen as an important platform for Open Office. Disappointing, but not surprising.

DT
AnonymousCoward

Apr 02, 2005
3:02 AM EDT
Not exactly right, I think. It looks from here as if the Sun people involved generally regard Java as in some way Open, either that or they don't regard "optional" features buried right in the application without warning or sign as being a problem.

Whether that's true or not, they're the ones actually contributing to the software, so they're the ones guiding its direction. If you want to chip in and write the code to replace Javaish bits with C++ or (forex) Ruby, that can change.

As long as we remain non-contributors, it's completely fair that we accept whatever we get.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!