The "P" in LAMP could also be either Perl or Python ...

Story: Federal Computer Week Goes Linux?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Apr 04, 2005
2:28 PM EDT
at least that was my impression reading about the definition in several difference sources. Moreover, while the letters might not fit I am sure some of the actual applications were done with PostgreSQL without too much hostility being exhibited.
tadelste

Apr 04, 2005
4:00 PM EDT
You're right about that. But, this particular solution is based on the original configuration - Linux Apache MySQL and PHP. That's the solution - no PostgreSQL, middleware, Perl, Python or whatever.

If it was something else, I would gladly write it that way.

I'm for diversity at all costs :)
PaulFerris

Apr 04, 2005
5:29 PM EDT
Darnit! I always thought it stood for Paul!
tadelste

Apr 26, 2005
6:02 PM EDT
It does. Linux Apache Miracle Paul
sbergman27

Apr 26, 2005
6:24 PM EDT
Indeed. I am currently in the process of porting one of my PHP projects to Python/mod_python. There were a few issues to resolve, but now I'm reaping the benefits. Python rocks for web programming. This is the same project that I first ported from PHP/MySql to PHP/PostgreSQL and later went live with. It's been fun seeing this project evolve. Python and PostgreSQL are a nice combination, even if it doesn't get a lot of press.

BTW, the 'M' in LAMP stands for "middleware", not MySQL as many believe.

P.S. Paul. You are incorrigible. ;-)
dinotrac

Apr 26, 2005
7:12 PM EDT
sbergman ---

I agree that python-postgresql make a powerful combination.

I got started in that direction with Zope, though I'll admit the relationship with Zope is love-hate.

Postgresql is a fabulous database. I would say that it is under-appreciated, but that's not quite right. Those who use it appreciate it plenty. With Postgresql 8, it's improved journaling-recovery, replication, native Windows version, etc, etc,etc, maybe it will catch a little more attention.

If not, the rest of us can just appreciate it a little more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!