Jonathan will say anything to get attention

Story: Sun joins open-source-hating corporate clubTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tadelste

Apr 11, 2005
10:55 AM EDT
I once questioned Jonathan's tactics, and received this reply in an email from one of the Directors at Sun: March 7th 2005

"Part of what has happened (and will continue to happen) with Sun's position on Linux stems from the fact that Linux has been wielded as a weapon against Sun - specifically Solaris. Even though we are defending against attacks from the likes of IBM, Novell and Red Hat, it is easy to perceive our position as anti-Linux, when in reality it is not. Combine this perception with the prevalent idea that "the Linux community" and "the Open Source community" are one and the same, and it is easy to see why we have a perception problem in the market. We count on those who are better informed (like you and Sam) to understand that it is possible to be anti-Red Hat and not anti-Linux. Or to be pro-Solaris and pro-Open Source.

"We are not aided by the rhetoric from Jonathan in this regard. But understand that Jonathan is being intentionally controversial to achieve two goals - 1), garner attention (we are unable to outspend our competitors on marketing, so this is one way to make up for that) and 2), get the conversation started with customers. For these two goals, Jonathan is being quite successful. But it requires that the rest of us look past the rhetoric to see what's really happening."

Sorry, I won't look past rhetoric. I question everything he says and does. I personally believe that he is damaging his career.
devnet

Apr 12, 2005
8:49 PM EDT
He's just trying to get people to download OpenSolaris. He's realizing that there isn't a community so he's trying to get attention so he can have one.
cjcox

Apr 13, 2005
2:44 PM EDT
Sun has absolutely no problem with you running Linux as long as it is not done in a corporate enterprise setting. You see.. Sun is pro Linux especially since they contributed the most source code of anybody in the known universe. So run it at home or in isolated tests.. just don't run a business on it. So you see.. Sun is really on your side! Since Sun believes that Solaris is Linux, you can simply run their version of Linux... called OpenSolaris... it's free too!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!