linux servers setup

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
wilsond

Apr 18, 2005
9:29 AM EDT
hi all

i am in the process of setting up a linux server and i have installed the software from disc and then i am stuck is there anybody who could guide me or help me along the way with getting it up and running as i am a complete new user but can do the install from disc bit

thanks wilsond
dave

Apr 18, 2005
11:04 AM EDT
What is the question?
wilsond

Apr 18, 2005
11:27 AM EDT
the question is where and how do i start with configuring everything so i can running it for a server for printer sharing, internet sharing and file sharing as i have not got a clue have been trying to find a thick persons why of doing all this if anybody can help

thanks wilsond
SFN

Apr 18, 2005
12:09 PM EDT
First, just as a word of advice, you might try linuxquestions.org. This is a news site and doesn't really handle support, per se.

Having said that, the best advice one could give would be to look for some documentation. This is not the kind of question that can be answered easily. If you let us know which distro you are using, someone can probably point you in the right direction. Each distro has some level of doucmentation. Some of it online, some in books. Some up-to-date, some not so much.
wilsond

Apr 18, 2005
12:27 PM EDT
i am hoping if it works for me to use the new mandrake 10.1 as my server system

thanks wilsond
tuxchick

Apr 18, 2005
12:28 PM EDT
The best place to start is with the manuals for your Linux distribution. Red Hat and SuSE have the best user manuals, and Linspire and Xandros are exceptionally user-friendly.

The length of your learning curve will depend on how experienced you are with TCP/IP networking, including DNS, DHCP, basic routing, and IP addressing. This is pretty much the same for all platforms, though of course Microshaft puts their own weird twist on what should be nice unborked standard protocols.

You might try a Safari subscription, http://safari.oreilly.com/. This gives you access to the entire O'Reilly catalog for a reasonable fee.
peragrin

Apr 18, 2005
12:41 PM EDT
Don't forget the wiki

linuxquestions.org

If someone has asked and written about it, there is a good chance it's there.
Koriel

Apr 19, 2005
6:49 AM EDT
I believe Mandrake has a built in wizards for both internet connection sharing and file sharing, Not sure about the printer sharing but it wouldn't suprise me if it didn't have a wizard for that as well. You can also obtain a lot of help from the Mandrake forums over at http://www.mandrivaclub.com/

And like everyone else, reading the distro manuals is a good idea as this will provide you with distro specific info.

You cannot post until you login.