the potential for a small business

Story: Sheep to be ShearedTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
PaulFerris

May 17, 2005
12:24 AM EDT
Possibly, if this guy can make money cleaning viruses off of computers in this fashion, there's maybe another way.

What if...

There was some way to remotely host the OS of the computer in question (sans viruses) over broadband. Something like Metaframe, VNC or via RDP protocol. VMWARE would be nice -- especially the latest GSX variants given their physical to virtual ability, except that remote desktop display is very lame.

Your business comes by, and rather than cleaning the computer of viruses, the applications are remotely installed on a managed system. Think thousands of independent desktops running at the remote site. Then, the local PC hardware is imaged with Linux, and the remote display tools are used to run the exact same software on the remote system, where it is blocked from the net (as a client) or vigilantly kept clean.

The benefit from the customer is that a web-browser client can be used to remotely connect to their "personalized" desktop from anywhere.

The main issues here would be:

* licensing the proprietary software. From what I've seen Microsoft doesn't allow transferance of the OS from one piece of physical hardware to another. It might take a class action lawsuit to clear that problem up. If it was just the apps via crossover, this might not be a problem, but not all apps run under crossover.

* some sort of extremely good virtualization. Crossover might cut it on some of the newer kernel virtualizing hacks (UML, XEN?) but that's a stretch. VMWare already mentioned, but who knows what a slug it would be.

* a few million dollars and a staff of dozens to get it off the ground.

* a non-proprietary (hopefully) protocol that's something similar to what the metaframe people have to offer. Something that has a web-based client, hopefully. X has some of this, but it's a real dog at low bandwidth.

* some kind of really easy to use desktop interface that helps people understand the difference between local and remote execution.

Yeah, it's out there, but I couldn't resist dumping the idea...

--FeriCyde
helios

May 17, 2005
4:14 AM EDT
* a few million dollars and a staff of dozens to get it off the ground.

Something very familiar about this entire idea and it bothered me I couldn't put my finger on it...took my dog out for a walk and without warning it came to me instantly. What you are describing will be Longhorn (read : TC + DRM)

helios
PaulFerris

May 17, 2005
5:31 AM EDT
helios: don't they still want to cram it onto a PC and sell it to joe PC buyer? Microsoft is all about making desktop software, but if what you're indicating here is a direction -- are they planning on putting up some sort of subscription application service?
helios

May 17, 2005
5:56 AM EDT
Hey Paul,

I made that statement with tongue firmly in cheek...I have recently read some nightmarish stuff about trusted computing and its coupling with DRM...used in combination of course to M$ advantage. It will basically like having your network admin watching just about everything you do on your computer...even to the point of being able to delete or cripple things it does not want on there. I am actually intrigued by your idea though and have passed it onto my friend Steve...I am awaiting his response.

helios
sbergman27

May 17, 2005
6:17 AM EDT
Nomachine's NX protocol beats any of the VNC's hands down for responsiveness. I use VNC to connect the workers in one of my clients' Dallas office to the server in Oklahoma City, via 768k DSL. The responsiveness and visual quality leaves a bit to be desired. Nomachine open sourced the server. Not sure about the client. But I can vouch for the fact that the performance is amazing.
PaulFerris

May 17, 2005
7:15 AM EDT
helios: It's true, I'm a witness. All 4 of the previous an current corp laptops I've owned were "locked" down this way. I'll plant my tongue in cheek now too -- I couldn't patch the current system until a net admin got me the rights to install software.

First patch set: Cygwin.

Second patch set: XFce for Cygwin

Third patch set: A ton of custom scripts that make my life easier -- some of which I'll probably soon GPL (there are some issues to overcome before this happens).

Anyway, after the above patches, my device driver layer for Cygwin then allows me to get work done. Without some admin rights granting, though, I'd be stuck with a computer that would never do. You know what I'm sayin'?

--FeriCyde
hkwint

May 17, 2005
8:00 AM EDT
Hey Paul, good news for you: It exists already (at least I think so)!

I try to understand what you're talking about and what the Win4Lin site is talking about, but I really think Win4Lin Terminal Server is what you mean (not advertising here). The web site I came across is a bit vague (picture to small, text repeated 2 times), but I have the idea it describes your idea. It works with the X protocol, which may be a disadvantage. Heck, better check it out yourself at http://www.win4lin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=vie...

And let us know how you think about it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!