self-inflicted wounds...

Story: Linux vs Microsoft XP: Optimizations Make Linux the Killer DesktopTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

May 23, 2005
11:44 AM EDT
Darn double post again...sorry folks. Trying to figure out why this happens

helios
nicsmr

May 23, 2005
12:44 PM EDT
Helios Been meaning to post a reply to your evangelism about PC Linux OS...

I've tried at least 11 distros and versions of distros and the only 2 that detect my wireless card are Knoppix and yes you guessed it mepis. I've installed both and I've chosen to stick with Mepis because it felt like the more finished product.

A distribution is no use to me if it can't detect the wireless card.

To be fair, PClinux did see the card. Told me exactly what it was. But no hint or clue on how to get it to work.

Until next time... Nick
helios

May 23, 2005
8:36 PM EDT
Ah...simple matter to resolve...really needs to be better documented though. Go to Pclos control center, hardware- wireless and go from there. Took me all of 2 minutes to go hot.

helios
Koriel

May 24, 2005
2:21 AM EDT
I like PcLinuxOS as well, although i dont use it on my home machine (read bleeding edge) as it has problems with PCI-E video cards, the Nvidia driver it ships with is to old, it also insists on running agp when the card is pci-e, and doesn't detect my wireless card either so if i have to fix all these things by hand to start of with, i might as well stick with Slackware. But these problems are not really PcLinuxOs fault its because the motherboard is so new, even the original nvidia chipset drivers for windows that it shipped with were beta didnt get the finals until about month and half later.

That said it runs flawlessly on my work machine and requires very little effort whatsoever, in fact one of the best desktop distros i've ever used.

Can't wait for PcLinuxOS 9, then i will migrate my home machine at that time as all those probs should be sorted.

helios

May 24, 2005
2:50 AM EDT

.9 is going to resolve a whole slew of hardware issues...in fact, as far as I can see this is the major reason for the release, as well as catching up alot of the software. Linux Apps are growing and appearing at a break-neck pace right now and that is a good thing. We just need to withstand the growing pains. I am on a hard push for linux in my school district here in Austin and am having some suprisingly good results. If anyone would like to help in the development of a pclinuxos "teachers desktop" and "students desktop" we are not too proud to turn down the help. You don't necessarily have to be involved in the actual development, any help you could provide would be appreciated. Wiki is at [HYPERLINK@pclinuxos.digitalsundries.com] and user name/passwd is User contrib Pass rz82nbq32

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!