They've missed the point

Story: Desktop Linux Gains Business-Caliber Accounting and Finance SolutionsTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
helios

Jun 08, 2005
5:29 AM EDT
This is a good program. I purchased it yesterday and am actually using it for the book keeping software for Lobby4Linux. Kmymoney actually works perfectly to meet our needs, We want to test it since we are involved in the accounting software thing at L4L. It is smooth, bugg-less from what I can see (I like bugg for computer bugs...bear with me), and runs fast. They missed the boat on one factor. Windows users cannot export their quickbooks data to it when run from a Linux System. Isn't that what we were shooting for? We will be working with MyBooks to see if this can be accomplished but they seem a bit uncomfortable with talking about it.

L4L will dig into it and find the source of discomfort. I would hate to think a backroom deal has already been struck to make this not happen. But then again, why would there have been?
TxtEdMacs

Jun 08, 2005
6:20 AM EDT
Could be as simple as they do not have a budget to support a legal challenge.
helios

Jun 08, 2005
7:29 AM EDT
Good point...I am on hold right now with their marketing person to get this fingered out. stay tooned

helios
SamShazaam

Jun 08, 2005
2:40 PM EDT
I found Kmymoney OK for personal use but I always seemed to have a bug in it. It was also difficult to get a report out of it.

I am using Gnucash now which is great but demands a better knowledge of accounting principles to set up and use. Reports are much easier to get though.
majones

Jun 08, 2005
2:46 PM EDT
Don't forget to view prior press releases from the company... a short while ago, the PR came out about "MyBooks Pro imports QuickBooks Data"...

the application can import all transaction and master file information from the US QuickBooks versions... just remember that the QB data file lives on a Windows machine, so the Windows version of MyBooks is required to actually perform the conversion (easily done with a trial version of the software, downloaded from the Appgen.com website). Once the data's in MyBooks format, it is portable to any of the Appgen supported platforms.
helios

Jun 09, 2005
6:24 AM EDT
..... but I always seemed to have a bug in it....

KmyMoney is experiencing some massive development right now. I really, really like the direction the DevTeam is taking this app. And I do think that it will be the Quicken Killer for Linux. I would watch this program closely.

As an aside, Lobby4Linux will be hosting a Live Chat with one of the Kmymoney developers, Ace Jones in a couple of weeks. check the L4L website for details later this weekend. Please register on the forums early to avoid a bottle neck. Transcripts will be made available to anyone who wants them,

so the Windows version of MyBooks is required to actually perform the conversion (easily done with a trial version of the software, downloaded from the Appgen.com website). Once the data's in MyBooks format, it is portable to any of the Appgen supported platforms.

Again...(or still) we find ourselves with a need for Microsoft to accomplish something. I agree, any workaround is fine as long as it works. TxtEdMacs probably got to the root of it with his diagnosis...it just chaps my southern reigons. I spoke with a marketing person at MyBooks yesterday...sounded like a pre-prepared press release response. Bottom line - "we can't tell you much right now except wait for the new version.

helios

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!