Stupid analogy

Story: Open source "is free like a puppy is free" says Sun bossTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
mdl

Jun 09, 2005
9:25 AM EDT
McNealy's puppy is not exactly free either. Nor does it have freedom.
DrDubious

Jun 09, 2005
9:49 AM EDT
At least *my* puppy is actually *mine*, and not simply on loan for a large fee from a breeder who regularly demands to check to make sure I'm not playing with the puppy in an unapproved way without paying an extra fee... Wasn't it originally a Microsoft guy who came up with the "puppy" analogy? What an amazing coincidence that the same analogy now pops up at Sun...
PaulFerris

Jun 09, 2005
11:23 AM EDT
Used to be, he was attacking Bill Gates, but it seems the latest cash infusion has warped his sense of perspective -- now he's attacking the very same ideas that they release their company flagship operating system under.

Brilliant move, Scotty. Why don't you attack Java next.

Thing is, it's the same old tired misperception of the word "Free" he's going after -- it's Free as in Democracy, not free as in cash. What a maroon. I'm sure he knows better, and this just might work into part of a broader misinformation campaign.

Or, more simply, he just might be an idot at the helm of a sinking ship. Hmmmm

--FeriCyde
tuxchick

Jun 09, 2005
12:40 PM EDT
he just might be an idot at the helm of a sinking ship. This gets my vote. If it weren't for the billion-dollar m$ settlement and their new close partnership with the 'shaft, Sun would be nearly bankrupt.
incinerator

Jun 09, 2005
1:54 PM EDT
I stopped giving a damn about Sun quite while ago. Sun's going down. If anyone there wants to make a big show out of it, I'll happily stand beside and amuse myself watching it.
peragrin

Jun 11, 2005
6:26 AM EDT
>>I stopped giving a damn about Sun quite while ago. Sun's going down. If anyone there wants to make a big show out of it, I'll happily stand beside and amuse myself watching it.

Can't stand by and watch.Sun is going to go supernova and take out as much as possible when it does. F/OSS, MSFT, Apple, Java, and anything else is going to get scorched. It's a good thing Money isn't a prime concern for F/OSS developers it will insulate againist damage.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!