OSDL is NOT the Proper Place

Story: Who Should Be Behind a Linux "Get the Facts" CampaignTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
rht

Jul 17, 2005
3:38 PM EDT
While I agree with the sentiment that it would be nice to have a central repository of True Facts(tm) to counter the "Get the Facts" campaign, I believe that OSDL is not the place to host such a repository or Get-Square campaign.

The OSDL is, as its name states, a development lab. If marketing, public relations, and related matters became associated with the OSDL then, by immediate extension, such issues would become associated with Linus, Andrew, et al.

We only have to look at the effect that these "advertising" matters have had on the credibility of personnel associated with Microsoft, SCO, Sun and others. Opponents of such companies don't believe a word said by any representative because such listeners can't be bothered trying to determine if what's being said is marketing, hype, wishful thinking, FUD or truth. On the other hand, while many opponents of Linux do not believe that Linux can do all that is claimed ("Linux can't possibly do THAT, otherwise Windows would do it too") these opponents believe that Linus is sincere in his belief.

In my opinion, the continuing credibility of Linux developers is for more valuable, both in the short term and in the long term, than locating any True Facts at a URL associated with Linux development. That goes not only for OSDL but for RedHat, IBM, Novell, etc.
Abe

Jul 18, 2005
9:51 AM EDT
This idea of "Get the Facts" came to me way before MS started their compaign. I thought about it because there were many journalists spouting all kind of in-accurate bad publicity about FOSS. back then, I too, like the reporter, originally thought OSDL would be the place. After getting more informed about OSDL & now reading your post, I agree OSDL is not the place. I also agree with you that the distros should be doing that. IBM, although they don't have their own, they do that with many articles for developer on their we sites. Also, many of us who believe and enthusiastic about FOSS can help quite a bit. O'Riley periodically creates snapshots of newly released versions of distros and sometimes applications, but their material can be enhanced to make full comparison between Windows and Linux to highlight the differences and show how superior Linux is compared to Windows. Today, Linux is easier to install than Windows. What I was thinking of doing is to use VMWare or XEN, to create step by step snapshots or even actual video clips showing how easy and straight forward Linux installation is for various distros. We can create a series of these along with complete video of post-installation which include Synaptic & APT Get/Install for various popular applications. I think that should shut up many of the lackeys and pundits. I wish I have the time to do it now, but it is in the back of my mind and it comes to the forefront every time I read some of the articles that claim that Linux is not ready for the desktop yet. Granted there are many commercial applications that are not available for Linux, but what FOSS offers right now includes the things most users need or use.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 18, 2005
10:31 AM EDT
A distributed response might in the long term be the more effective option. That is, whenever egregious misstatements are made or torturous facts cited; a counter attack that links to several differing locations could have more impact. Even MS does not attempt to put all is rotten eggs in one basket. Note it is always an "independent" study that confirms their bias. Who do you trust more? The TV shill that will sell anything for a cut or a friend or someone of known skills that recommends a product? The former is much louder and the message more widely spread, but the latter has credence.
PaulFerris

Jul 18, 2005
11:58 AM EDT
There used to be a "noFUD" site as a part of LinuxToday.com, which was maintained by John Wolley (Bless his heart), but he's no longer there and the site simply resolves to the front page (darn!). It was full of FUD-busting stuff that was created by John and also stuff submitted by readers. Just a thought -- maybe something similar.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!