Please not again

Story: Free Software Foundation against Bush's EU diplomatsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
hkwint

Aug 09, 2005
12:15 PM EDT
This Bush person doesn't learn from mistakes like Bolton at the UN, does he? As an European, I say: Linus should be the EU's representative in the US to make up for this.
dinotrac

Aug 09, 2005
2:38 PM EDT
Actually it's the FSF that doesn't get it.

And Bolton is fine...

Whatever else a diplomat be, that person must be trusted and representative of the administration he/she represents.

Otherwise, the person is next to useless.

If one doesn't like the administration's diplomats, its fine to make noise, but better to get enough votes to change the administration.
number6x

Aug 10, 2005
3:04 AM EDT
Yes.

We have the best government money can buy.

If you are unhappy with the current leadership, then its time to go shopping!

Remember that our tax dollars count towards the sale. When we work together we can influence decisions more than all of the lobbyists can.

Thats why so many special interest groups spend their time on 'divisive' issues. They truly fear that the people might come together over an issue and exercise some true power.

Abe

Aug 10, 2005
3:29 AM EDT
Dino:

I am not sure what you mean by "FSF that doesn't get it". Could you elaborate? Thanks.

"And Bolton is fine..." I think this is very subjective. I, on the contrary diagree. I think his attitude is counter productive. This guy thinks he rules the world, well he doesn't, not any more. The world is a different place and we need to realize that before it is too late, if it isn't too late already.

"that person must be trusted and representative of the administration he/she represents" I humbly disagree again. I say the person should be representative of the people of the US, not just the one person who appointed him.

"but better to get enough votes to change the administration." I totally agree. I already witched my vote last election, even though I didn't think the opponent wasn't good enough, but, was better than what I saw in first term.
dinotrac

Aug 10, 2005
11:00 AM EDT
Abe --

Well, actually, they do get it, but they would never want to say something to indicate that.

First and foremost -- Our ambassador to the European Union doesn't have anything to do with the European antitrust case. Our ambassador is a representative of the United States, not the EU. Given anti-US sentiment in the EU, advocacy of Microsoft might actually hurt them.

Second -- the positions an ambassador takes are not his or her own, but those of the administration. Do you honestly think that Bush would appoint any ambassador you or the FSF like? Ain't bloody likely.

As I said, the way to change things is to win elections. Election losers don't have much basis for any claim to represent the actual will and mood of the country.

This is one thing that peeves me no end about Democrats, BTW. With the exception of Bill Clinton -- a gifted political animal -- they've been on a national losing streak for the last 30 years.

I wish they'd get tired of claiming to be the party of the people (I guess you could consider Bill Gates (prominent registered Democrat and supporter of the Democratic party), George Soros, Steven Spielberg, and Theresa Heinz Kerry to be "the people" and the rest of us to be "the servants") and contemplate the possibility that they've lost touch.

The most amazing comments I saw after the last election boiled down to "The voters were too stupid to vote for us." Here's hoping the Dems get their heads out of their nether parts in time to look around, take stock, and get back to actually being what they like to pretend that they are.

tuxtom

Aug 12, 2005
12:42 AM EDT
I'm starting to hate this place...
dinotrac

Aug 12, 2005
9:29 AM EDT
tuxtom -

Bummer. Free speech has that effect on some people, especially those who haven't figured out the "this guy's always full of crap -- think I'll ignore him" response.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!