new user recomendation???

Story: Linux vs. Linux: Which Distro Should You Dump Windows For?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
jimf

Sep 17, 2005
6:15 PM EDT
I don't mind when someone tells me that he thinks candidate A, B, C, & D are obvious candidates for a new users consideration and then continues on to do a serious comparison of the pertinent features. That is legit.

Nor do I mind if someone just lists the top 7 Distros from Distrowatch, though why you would do that without a serious comparison of features I can't comprehend.

It would appear that Bryan wants to point new users toward Distros which will work for them, but, I do not think that Suse professional or even Debian are good choices for any first time user. It's like he went down a list and arbitrarily checked off a few. So with arbitrary choices and no real in depth comparisons what is the point of the article?
Abe

Sep 18, 2005
5:24 AM EDT
Very good point, I would have suggested Mepis, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS. But don't forget, Suse has "SuseLite" that is especially created for newbies. Starting with SuseLite then go on to Suse Professional is ideal. OpenSuse is taking care of the issues I thought Suse Pro. has (mainly multimedia and not having Synaptics).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!