Novell server migration

Story: Report: Inside the Novell Linux MigrationTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
sbergman27

Oct 06, 2005
12:29 PM EDT
Interesting article. One thing I found surprising, considering their relatively aggressive approach on the desktop conversions, were these numbers regarding the *server* conversions.

These are the percentages of servers used within Novell for 3 successive years: (This is taken from the article under terms of fair use.)

------- 2003:

* Linux: 6.1% * Solaris: 17.1% * NetWare: 34.7% * Windows: 38.0% * HP-UX: 4.1%

2004:

* Linux: 18.5% * Solaris: 11.4% * NetWare: 29.1% * Windows: 37.8% * HP-UX: 3.2%

2005:

* Linux: 29.3% * Solaris: 9.5% * NetWare: 25.3% * Windows: 33.2% * HP-UX: 2.7%

-------

Note that in 2003 Novell was using more Windows servers than Netware servers. Also note that in the first year of the conversion, the Windows servers were virtually untouched. Even in the 2005 numbers, Windows servers are only down 4.8 percentage points. A smaller decrease on even an absolute scale than any other server OS except HP-UX. And *the* smallest relative percentage decrease.

Now, moving from Unix to Linux is no doubt easier than moving from Windows to Linux. But I'm surprised that in 2 years they (a server OS company) have not been able to make more of a dent in the Windows server share in their own organization, which is really only down by 12.6%, and is still the most ubiquitous server OS in their organization.
tuxchick

Oct 06, 2005
1:20 PM EDT
ya, moving from Unix to Linux is pretty trivial. The article says that Windows application servers are hard to get rid of, and Novell is pressuring vendors to release *nix ports. I wish they had given some examples, 'cause in a lot of shops the "windows application servers" that they find so hard to replace are custom cobble-jobs done in Visual Basic. Which I would chuck out the window on sight, but then I don't get my own way nearly often enough.
bstadil

Oct 06, 2005
4:10 PM EDT
Remember that Novell merged with Cambridge Technology Partners in 2001. The high level of Windows servers is probably from that end of the company.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!