OMG the sky is falling, too late I'm dead

Story: Why protect the users when you can fix the code?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Oct 14, 2005
1:10 PM EDT
I actually agree with Dvorak. I think I'm making an appointment for a checkup with my doctor.

Fave quote:

"Vista - Won't Boot Edition… $29.95 Vista - Preloaded with Viruses and Spyware Edition… $39.95 Vista - Initially Clean but Use at Your Own Risk Edition… $49.95 Vista - Clean with Firewall and Weekly Protection Update Edition… $200"
tadelste

Oct 14, 2005
1:12 PM EDT
Don't worry. It's a temporary condition. No need to see a doctor.
Kagehi

Oct 14, 2005
1:50 PM EDT
This guy obviously missed the recent article on how they where forced to redesign Vista from the ground up, because they not only couldn't fix the code, they couldn't get it to function **at all**. So, MS is hedging its bets. Its going to redesign the OS, producing something that maybe won't reach the state of instantly self destruction, then moment you put everything into the OS, like Longhorn did, for another 20 years or so, then sell 'protection' to handle all in inevitable flaws that will creep in, between the initial 'mostly' stable version and the inevitable Titanic+Exxon Valdeze+Chernobal version that pops up 20 years from now and forces yet another complete rewrite. ;) lol
peragrin

Oct 14, 2005
5:07 PM EDT
Well you what they Tuxchick. That a million monkeys pounding on a million computers will eventually make the works of shakespeare. Under that assumption even Dvorak will be right every once in a while.

salparadise

Oct 14, 2005
10:47 PM EDT
There is a theory which states that if a million monkeys had a compiler and a keyboard each that eventually they'd come up with WIndows.

There is another theory that states that this has already happened.

tadelste

Oct 15, 2005
9:10 AM EDT
I thought the second theory was now empirically proven.
AnonymousCoward

Oct 16, 2005
4:21 PM EDT
peragrin: the original had six monkeys and an infinite amount of time. Then someone calculated that given the longest generally acceptable lifespan of the universe (~20 gigayears), they wouldn't have accidentally typed a typical full title to one of The Bard's plays. They would, however, have worn through the world's entire stock of typewriters several times over.

The one I like best is from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, involving side-effects of the Infinite Improbability Drive. Arthur says querulously, "Ford? There's an infinite number of monkeys outside who'd like to discuss a script for Hamlet that they've written".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!