This is why I don't like digital TV

Story: The broadcast flag returnsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
mvermeer

Oct 30, 2005
2:29 AM EDT
It's sooo passive-consumer oriented. We are just getting it now in Finland...

What's wrong with disseminating over the general Internet instead, receiving with a general-purpose computer and displaying on a screen attached to that?

Ah, _now_ I understand.

This is a battle they cannot win. Last time in Europe when people were forbidden to own certain types of radio reception equipment was during the Nazi occupation.
dinotrac

Oct 30, 2005
3:15 AM EDT
Martin -

I don't blame you.

This stuff sucks hind teat.

The thing that's most discouraging is that it's a major rights problem that most people simple refuse or ar unable to see. Like the DMCA over here, it will take a little while, but the bad guys will find ridiculous ways to exploit it. Guaranteed.
SamShazaam

Oct 30, 2005
5:01 PM EDT
They seem to be taking a page from Sadaam Hussein's play book. Even after you lose, you can triumph by doing the same thing, preferably quietly and quickly before the opposition can be alerted or gather strength. Eternal vigilance may be necessary but is never easy.

The problem is that most people either don't understand what is happening or don't believe it effects them.
helios

Oct 31, 2005
6:32 AM EDT
"The problem is that most people either don't understand what is happening or don't believe it effects them."

Microsoft counts on this gem of wisdom to stay in business.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!