SUSE strives to be just like Red Hat

Story: SuSE Users' Panic UnfoundedTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
cjcox

Nov 04, 2005
8:59 PM EDT
While Kurt's statements are dealt with, Novell apparently goes out of the way to declare KDE to be crap for the enterprise. So, while Red Hat is 3 light years behind SUSE KDE, SUSE strives to place catch up in an area that absolutely suck, Gnome. Smart.

The Ximian is strong with this one.

It'll make a monkey out of Novell in the end.

The fact is that SUSE is better situated for the enterprise than Red Hat... it's a shame that Novell doesn't agree with that. Very sad. This probably the number one cause for the post Novell SUSE problems. Novell just doesn't believe they have something better (if the Ximian guys say it sucks, then it must!).

I guess KDE is the Red Lectroids. All hail the Monkey Boyz!

I think the more forks of OpenSUSE right now the better. There's too much there to preserve and extend. SUSE can then be free to be the Red Hat they want to be.

Knock knock!

>Hello.

Yes, I'm from Novell and we have a product that is JUST like Red Hat.

>Really?

Yes. It used to be different, now it's the same.

>Ok.

Want to buy some?

>Why?

tuxchick

Nov 05, 2005
10:37 AM EDT
I agree. Why be a RHEL clone? Novell offers a whole huge product line that Red Hat doesn't even begin to touch- cross-platform interoperability, and monitoring and management tools that beat the tar out of anything anyone else has to offer. Oh well, the corporate market is a mystery to me anyway- purchasing decisions seem to be based on everything but sensible criteria.
cjcox

Nov 05, 2005
12:42 PM EDT
hmmm.. with that said... perhaps HP will buy Novell.

Why?

Because.... that would make no sense. (insert rimshot)
Koriel

Nov 05, 2005
3:16 PM EDT
Im no expert but i believe Novell has just shot and badly wounded itself, this is no suprise based on Novells previous history, ie taking a great product and failing to run with it, they are past masters of this art and to me they have just done it again, especially with going with gnome even though everyone knew it was coming or why buy Ximian?

KDE is the furthest thing from crap, bloated possibly but crap not by a long chalk.

I predict another Sun style implosion a la Sun Java Desktop.

As for competing with RH, i would be seriously impressed if they managed it but i won't hold my breath on that one RH are one of the most commercially astute linux vendors on the planet.

I predict major forking on the OpenSuse front, this is possibly one of the greatest advantages of GPL, it means others can come to the rescue when another falters.

Disclaimer: I admit to likeing KDE and i feel it gets a raw deal in the Linux world.
helios

Nov 05, 2005
8:41 PM EDT
It has already begun my friend. Two offerings are available now, one of which I have installed on a test machine and am putting thru the paces...bells and whistles formally stripped by novell are reinstated and it is Super! Inside pun for those who know of what I speak.

Ken

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!