Serves Them Right

Story: Has Dell’s business model hit the wall?Total Replies: 1
Author Content
pinakidion

Nov 08, 2005
1:29 PM EDT
They have become terrible in their service and in adding-on expensive things that are vapor services. I had a friend buy a Dell last year and her experience was terrible. They tacked on a training package even after she specifically asked them to remove the package. She had to argue with two sales representatives and a manager before they reluctantly took it off only to charge her again for it two months later. (She did monthly payments).

I used to recommend them wholeheartedly, but nowadays, I'd stay away. It's a hassle to get just a PC from them, you have to get a bunch of garbage along with it. UGH. At least there's a local store here where I can buy a good no OS computer without much hassle.

Next up - Will Best Buy and the Geek Squad also go this route?
ABCC

Nov 09, 2005
9:09 AM EDT
I've seen a few of these articles recently, especially focusing on their low quality of customer services. However, missing the analysts' prediction by $200m doesn't mean they're going to crash and burn any time soon. The article doesn't say anything about a drop in the quantity of PCs sold, only a drop in revenue. It also states But as part of its earnings’ warning, Dell said it was taking a charge of $450 million in the quarter, $300 million of which was earmarked to fix faulty boards on older OptiPlex desktops which seems to be a lot of money, however I've no idea how many of these boards they sold so can't make a comment on whether that's significant or not. I think that it's just as likelythat they lost a big wad of cash on derivatives as that they're business model is "against the wall". Nice work by the HP PR department in slagging Dell though.

I totally agree though, buying a computer locally means better service, a plain OEM OS (if XP floats your boat) and prices are generally on par with major retailers too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!