btdt

Story: Replacing ms dns with bind9Total Replies: 2
Author Content
wjl

Nov 08, 2005
8:48 PM EDT
Yup.

Did that long ago because Windoze 2k's DNS didn't support selective forwarding. We just needed that for our intranet services, so my best bet is that any of the bigger companies is runing BIND already.

Now, with loads of 2k3 servers around, we still use that BIND9 I set up on this Debian box, and I see no reason to change that.

cheers, wjl
cjcox

Nov 09, 2005
8:29 AM EDT
w2k3's dhcp/dns is screwball at the very least. If you use dynamic dns, you'll be much happier with ISC products. With that said, we really, really, really need GPL DNS/DHCP servers of same or better quality than the ones from ISC. I can't remember ISC's license. Maybe it's just BSD. Regardless, we need one wrapped in the protection of the GPL IMHO.
wjl

Nov 09, 2005
10:46 AM EDT
No, we don't use DynDNS, just a VPN to our "mother" company and from there to our corporate headquarters, which runs the "intranet". So I had to use a DNS which can forward according to domain and subdomain names, not just to an ISP.

But you have a good point. I'd rather use GPL software for each and every service...

cheers, wjl

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!