so the next step is what ...

Story: How Microsoft's Enterprise Desktop Stifles Linux and How to Fix itTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
holycow

Nov 14, 2005
5:22 PM EDT
... great article, well argued and supported.

are you therefore arguing that if we want to unseat ms from the desktop our mission statement reduces to the following:

- the key to the desktop is the unseating of ms exchange server and its outlook counterpart in network mode - that all the players in the linux camp have to get together and work under one umbrella for this particular goal

i get the distinct feeling that you are either holding something back or unwilling to take the community to task for splintering on the vision component required to execute the strategy.

can it really be that simple?
tadelste

Nov 14, 2005
6:19 PM EDT
You created an excellent executive summary.

Quoting:i get the distinct feeling that you are either holding something back or unwilling to take the community to task for splintering on the vision component required to execute the strategy.

You feeling is correct. I am holding lots back basically because it's not good journalism and I'm not selling or offering anything but news and information. Lots of dirt exists around this issue and I don't see anything to gain by airing it.

I don't see taking the community to task. I can say that many individuals who participate in the community in various roles have held their own vested interests above those of the community. If you take the individuals to task, they get all indignant and act foolish. So, why put them on the defensive? They know who they are and they have a plethora of justifications, rationalizations reasons, excuses, beliefs and feelings about what they did or didn't do.

Quoting:can it really be that simple?

Yes.

holycow

Nov 14, 2005
7:11 PM EDT
okay.

understood about not standing on a soap box, that makes sense. in retrospect my question probably is indicative of the leadership vacuum in this area now that i look at it again.

perhaps herding nerds is not exactly feasible, but let me just say that we need more articles such as this one. you allowing the readers to also pick your brain on the topic is also a welcome change. to that end i would encourage more articles that deal with business strategy end of things as that is discussed so little among technocrats (if RMS is able to admit that he needed a political means to an end, perhaps we can admit a PHB means to an end as well).

i would welcome the chance to learn more, and encourage other individuals with similar depth of expertice and experience to contribute as well.

thanks.
salparadise

Nov 14, 2005
9:59 PM EDT
Holycow, behold, the following is a capital letter - A. Capital letter - this is holycow.

...jus thought someone should introduce you to each other.

;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!