Microsoft renders patching a problem

Story: Open source renders patching a problemTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Tsela

Nov 18, 2005
4:56 AM EDT
Sorry, but the idea that Microsoft Automatic Update service helps is a bunch of crap, especially since one can hardly add a patch without having to reboot.

And what does the author think? That someone building a production server is going to get every piece of software directly from its creator and work from there, patching along by hand everything they installed, rather than install a distribution which packs everything nicely, and provides a security update service? I'm sorry, but what does the author think people use as a server OS? Linux From Scratch?!

I have only a few words to add: Debian GNU/Linux, cron-apt, security repository. Patches rounds around Microsoft Automatic Update any day.
tadelste

Nov 18, 2005
8:12 AM EDT
I think the guy who wrote this smoked crack or had a bad virus and couldn't think straight. Or, his real name is Jayson Blair.

hey, let's start a Jason Blair series.

TxtEdMacs

Nov 18, 2005
11:46 AM EDT
Guys, that's mean! This guy has expenses to meet, his habits are expensive even if he only retained the alcohol addiction alone. Give him a break, please. Even nickel crack habit adds up to real cash drain.
tuxchick

Nov 18, 2005
12:19 PM EDT
Who is Jason Blair? Yeah, I could Google, but I'm counting on you for the inside dish. :)
bdumm

Nov 18, 2005
12:30 PM EDT
tuxchick: stop googling it's bad for your health
jimf

Nov 18, 2005
5:00 PM EDT
That's Jason from the horror flick and Blair from the 'Blair witch project'... Quite a suitable pseudonym really.

I'm really convinced that over half of these guys have never run Linux and are taking the subject matter and flaws to emphasise from an approved MS pick list.
helios

Nov 19, 2005
5:01 PM EDT
Can I google till I just need glasses?
tadelste

Nov 19, 2005
8:07 PM EDT
Jason Blair? You're kidding. The writer for the New York Times who invented articles, facts, events, trips, interviews, etc. Got a book deal to disclose how he fooled his editors for a number of years. You know, that Jason Blair.

Mild mannered reporter for the Daily Planet, who by day, masquarades as Lois Lane's side kick, but by at night becomes SUPERMAN. Able to leap tall buildings with a single bound!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!