Not Only Exchange Anymore

Story: How Microsoft's Enterprise Desktop Stifles Linux and How to Fix itTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
jackaslingston

Nov 18, 2005
5:13 AM EDT
While I agree with you on the issue of Exchange tying Enterprise users to Microsoft, I also put forth that another Microsoft is keeping this hold strong.

Microsoft releases Great Plains which is used to manage all aspects of the company. The company I work at recently switched our entire operation to Great Plains, it is horribly buggy, slow and painfully difficult to use, when compared to our previous methods. However we are forced to use it because it is industry standard, and can generate the reports that public companies are required to produce.

Seems to me that the only way to really compete (and replace) Microsoft in the business world is to replace Exchange, AND Great Plains. Exchange would bring on the Engineering staff, but not the Management groups.
salparadise

Nov 18, 2005
7:32 AM EDT
Yup, Great Pains is in use where I work and everything you say about it echoes our experience.

A replacement for that, or, some kind of Open Standard in this area would make a life a lot easier.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!