Doesn't understand open source

Story: Open source ERP? Don't hold your breathTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
bstadil

Nov 21, 2005
4:24 PM EDT
This "article" is one long non-sequitur. The company does not yet have a large developer base, so what. This is a problem for many open source projects and no fault of the guys at OpenMFG.
tadelste

Nov 21, 2005
5:37 PM EDT
The author is not quite there with reguard to open source software. He seems to have an agenda or a bias he may not even know he has. This is fairly common with business types looking at open source for the first time. Rarely have they done their home work. Everything to them is a trick. Given his background, of course he's afraid someone is trying to rip him off.

It's sad really. If this was 1500 AD, he'd be one of the ones questioning Columbus. I can hear it now, "You had to have sailed south. There's nothing to the west. Liar."

God must have loved these clowns, he made so many of them.
ralph

Nov 22, 2005
1:03 AM EDT
Your comments make me wonder how to read this article. I took the author pretty much at his word and thought he was describing a company that did not quite understand open source software. But, I see that maybe the author just does not get open source software. Or, maybe he was trying to explain it to people he thought had no understanding of open source development models and he dumbed it down too much.
dinotrac

Nov 22, 2005
6:16 AM EDT
OpenMFG is not Open Source software, and the company is not an Open Source company.
sbergman27

Nov 22, 2005
7:04 AM EDT
Yes, I thought I recognized the OpenMFG name from a previous article. Aren't they the guys that actively solicit patches (with transfer of copyright, of course) from their users, include the ones they like in their product, and give nothing back?

Sort of like MySQL AB, except there's no OSS version of the software.
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
8:06 AM EDT
Dino: That doesn't take away from the issue I have with the author.

If you wrote the article, would you start off with "OpenMFG is not Open Source software, and the company is not an Open Source company". Or would you say, "Open source ERP? Don't hold your breath".

But then, I'm no longer interested in the anti-opensource spin. So, I still maintain the guys shills.
dinotrac

Nov 22, 2005
9:43 AM EDT
Tom -

It was an article about OpenMFG, so, I would start with OpenMFG.

As to Open Source ERP, it's been a while since I took a look, but aren't there a couple of actual Open Source projects? Is Compiere one of them?
tadelste

Nov 22, 2005
6:36 PM EDT
As Groucho Marx once asked "WHY WON'T SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING TO HELP ME?"

Plenty of open source ERP out there.

Don't move back to Texas. The state is not big enough.

On second thought, just let me know if you do, so I can move out.

ROFL.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!