Well Stated

Story: Thankful for FreedomTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
SamShazaam

Nov 24, 2005
5:21 AM EDT
It is important to remember that the things that unite us are not political, as we come from different parts of the political spectrum. It is a love of freedom and the control of our lives that is a part of it. Thank you for reminding us of this and of the people who helped us in the ongoing struggle to ensure this freedom.
Tsela

Nov 24, 2005
5:52 AM EDT
Indeed! In a world where governments and big corporations are constantly trying to win control over individuals, with no care about our individual, constitutional and human rights, and where software is rapidly becoming the main tool for this control, fighting for GNU, Linux and Free Software is fighting about our own right to be Free and in control of our own lives. It's not about who is writing the best program, who is distributing the best operating system, who has the lowest TCO or the highest maintenance needs. It's about how computers, software, the Internet, how all those things are influencing our lives, regardless of our political preference, our gender, our skin colour, our sexual orientation, our abilities and disabilities, our beliefs etc., and how we must be prevent any entity to take control of those things, if we don't want them to take control of our lives.

It means making efforts. It means not always going by the easiest road. It means having to learn to secure our own Freedom, our own control. It means standing up against any attempt to reduce the rights that were hard-earned by our ancestors. It means never stopping the vigilance. It means helping the other, if only because next time the other could be us. It is hard, it is tiring, it is demanding. But that's the price to pay for Freedom, the responsibility that comes with our rights.

So if we want to thank all the people that created this fantastic community, let's do it with acts. Let's ensure by our own acts that the community never dies, let's ensure that everyone, not only ourselves, can enjoy Freedom and control over their own lives. And let's not do it just one day in the year. Let's do it everyday. Let's just treat every day as if it was Thanksgiving Day (but without the stuffed turkey and the collapsing on the couch, please :) ).

Christophe (who as a European doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving but has empathy for the concept).
dinotrac

Nov 24, 2005
8:16 AM EDT
DC -

Amen.

It's so easy to focus on the things going wrong that we forget sometimes all of the things going right.

Some people have more reason to be thankful than others, but anyone able to get onto this site, or any other site, has a whole heap o' thankin' to do.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Y'know, Rev, I'll bet your flock is giving thanks for you. We certainly do.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 24, 2005
12:12 PM EDT
Indeed it is freedom that is celebrated in American Thanksgiving, private property and the freedom to dispose of it as one wishes. In the words of William Bradford, first governor of the Plymouth colony, http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1650bradford.html

"The experience that was had in this common course and condition, tried sundry years and that amongst godly and sober men, may well evince the vanity of that conceit of Plato's and other ancients applauded by some of later times; and that the taking away of property and bringing in community into a commonwealth would make them happy and flourishing; as if they were wiser than God. For this community (so far as it was) was found to breed much confusion and discontent and retard much employment that would have been to their benefit and comfort."

And a couple of variations on the theme: http://www.mises.org/story/336 https://www.mises.org/story/1678

May you find yourself eating to your capacity of the plenty of voluntary interaction on this wonderful day.
br3n

Nov 24, 2005
5:40 PM EDT
thanks to all the ones that answer the questions,then when i asked what the answer meant would take time to point me to sites to read and learn.it was good training for the world of linux as it has taught me lots of things about my computer.it also makes it easier for me to know the next time how to word the question so it can be answered.thank you all who give selflessly of your time and efforts to make sure the code is as bug free as possible.thank you all to people that contribute and make our lives better and easier. br3n

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!