Konqueror Linux browser conquers Old Navy website

Story: Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic Not Linux FriendlyTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
RickFromAZ

Nov 25, 2005
1:44 AM EDT
I received the same error message when I tried to visit the Old Navy website using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 under Linux. I then switched to the Konqueror browser instead and before visiting the website and clicked on the Tools menu and changed the browser identification to Internet Explorer running on Windows XP. After telling Konqueror to lie about what browser and operating system I am using, I went to the OldNavy.com website. It then allowed me in with no problem. I wandered around their website with no problem.

I find it especially annoying when websites don't even let a Linux browser try to use their webpage. Frequently such websites work fine when Konqueror is told to pretend to be IE when visiting that particular website. I did not actually buy anything from the website so I did not fully test if everything really works under Linux or not. It should not be necessary for a Linux user to us a work around such as changing the browser identification setting to fool the Old Navy website into letting us in. Is there some way to also tell the Linux version of Mozilla Firfox to change its browser identification when encountering certain websites? I agree that their website is not very LInux friendly.
burdicda

Nov 25, 2005
4:20 AM EDT
My Email to them:

My family makes well over 100k a yr and shops in your stores..... as a matter of fact my wife and daughter are out at oldnavy right now on black friday at the avenues Viera Florida....

I would not want to tell them they could not shop online with your company because you have chosen to function with Microsoft only computers.....

I am a system administrator for the United States Air Force and am the computer security officer for over 2000 computers near Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Linux is the only operating system allowed in our homes due to shoddy security using Microsoft products..

Thank You
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
5:56 AM EDT
Does the same with Opera too. Pretty stupid of them.
monkymind

Nov 25, 2005
6:18 AM EDT
I also get the same unsupported browser message and I'm running Firefox 1.0.7 on Linux .....but........ when I use the "user agent" extension and change the browser ID to "Internet Explorer 6 (XP)" the site works perfectly.

So the site is viewable under firefox but only if it's not identified as a firefox browser :-/

According to netcraft: http://www.oldnavy.com Akamai Technology Linux

Is it just another case of a poorly designed and tested website or is there evil lurking within?!? };->
Abe

Nov 25, 2005
7:49 AM EDT
Same problem here using FF 1.5rc3 on PCLinuxOS .92. My wife and 3 kids are out shopping. I just called to let them know that Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic are not Linux friendly. They know what to do. I was a little too late but aren't cell phones wonderful! Two items out of three are willingly being returned. Not what I would have liked, but sometimes you can't win them all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!