Sober.X is *not* a PC worm

Story: PC worm is spreading quicklyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Nov 25, 2005
2:31 AM EDT
It's an MS-Windows worm. The only "PC" thing about it is the Politically Correct move of not pointing the finger at the culture which so encourages malware writers.

Who wants worms for Christmas? Not I. So I don't use MS-Windows. Simple enough?
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
7:39 AM EDT
Sorry AnonymousCoward, that doesn't cut it. It's pretty certain that this will eventually be a problem for everyone. Virus, worms, and spam are some Internet problems that really needs to be addressed at a very basic level. I'm all for the free flow of information on the Internet, but, that crap is just wrong.

I remember a few years ago there was a lot of talk about resolving the problems with spoofing email. Something about adding another line to the header, but in any case, it was a simple fix which would have to involve ICANN and a change to the basic email header format. In spite of the severity of the problem I haven't seen anything being done to correct the situation, and, I do have to ask myself why this hasn't happened.
tuxchick

Nov 25, 2005
7:46 AM EDT
AC is right, though- Sober.x is a Windows worm. Just another example of "real" journalist's laziness; rarely do you see these stories mention the platform that is affected by whatever worm, virus, Trojan, etc. they're going on about. Because they think Windows = PC.

Except when it's a PHP worm, and even then they got it wrong, calling it a Linux worm.

As for ICANN, well, there's a good reason lotsa folks call it ICAN'T.
jimf

Nov 25, 2005
8:14 AM EDT
As for ICANN, well, there's a good reason lotsa folks call it ICAN'T. Just another reason why 'Government' is now a dirty word.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!