The Western world is left out...

Story: DVD Playback in SUSE Linux 10Total Replies: 9
Author Content
r_a_trip

Nov 28, 2005
7:32 AM EDT
[Ed: Make sure the laws in your country permit the use of Linux and DVDs. -tadelste]

Which means everywhere but the Western world... The USA and Europe both have Draconian laws that prohibit viewing legally purchased DVD's on OSes other than MS Windows.

At least, I haven't come across a vendor offering a legal standalone DVD-player for GNU/Linux. (I'm absolutely not planning on running Linspire, so their DVD offering is out of the question).
dinotrac

Nov 28, 2005
7:41 AM EDT
r_a_trip...

Seems your statement ain't quite right...

You haven't come across a vendor of whom you approve.
sharkscott

Nov 28, 2005
8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is just me, but I am not a big movie watcher.

I do watch movies but none that have come out recently. Most of the movies that have come out in the last three to four years suck. The previews save me a lot of wasted time in a theater watching something that I saw the best moments of, in the preview!

When I do watch movies, its in front of the television I never use much anymore either.

I have my music and my books and I am a happy man :)

Smart people have a harder time being easily amused. Oh, I am going to get it for that one!
tadelste

Nov 28, 2005
8:45 AM EDT
sharkscott: I can't believe you wrote that. We've had some spectacular movies: Beauty Shop, Man of the House, Halloween 9051, Alexander the Directors Cut, The Jacket, War of the Worlds, only to mention a few. I'm really surprised. Do you really feel that having no budget, bad acting, terrible directing, and movies paid for by the actors themselves instead of the studios is a sign of lousy releases. (-;
dinotrac

Nov 28, 2005
10:06 AM EDT
Tom -

Alexander? Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the DVD release of "Cinderella Man", coming up this week (maybe next).
TxtEdMacs

Nov 28, 2005
10:52 AM EDT
Tom, do you have a complete list so that I know what NOT to warch.
SFN

Nov 28, 2005
11:02 AM EDT
It is a sad fact that Linux users are denied the right to watch DVDs by an uncaring corporo-governmental judiciary system but that is the law and I ALWAYS obey the law. That's why I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER watch DVDs on my computer.

As proof, here is a list of very good movies from the past three or four years that I ABOSLUTELY DID NOT WATCH on my computer.

Sideways Identity Y tu mama tambien Before Sunset Mystic River
tadelste

Nov 28, 2005
2:44 PM EDT
Txt: No complete list. Try looking at the offerings at Movielink.com

SFN: Right.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 28, 2005
6:03 PM EDT
Tom - with my tastes, I wasn't even half serious. For example, I really like "Kung Fu" comedies whether intentionally made that way or not. I really got a kick out of Kung Fu Hustle (the musical - or murder to a beat - or substitute mayhem for murder for more accuracy), watched Shaolin Soccer afterward that compared poorly to the Hustle though it shared some humor and some of the same actors.

Somehow I seemed to have missed every entry you listed. What was the "Jacket", for a moment I confused it with the Tuxedo that even with my tastes for bad movies was not one I would recommend. I know I saw a number of different, recent Jet Li movies, but unlike most of the critics I thought "Danny the Dog" aka (in the U.S.) "Unleashed" was his best and very different than the usual genre.

Got my House M.D. fix watching the entire first season on three DVDs with no commercials.

Just finished The Motorcycle Diaries, reading the subtitles.

In the theaters I saw only Sideways and part of Mystic River (the film self destructed about 2/3 way through in the projector) in SFN's list. I finally saw what I missed by viewing the last scenes on a DVD, I could not bear watching the entire movie again from the beginning.

After just missing Howl's Moving Castle*, never came near by, there were very few movies I really wanted to see. Though this past week saw both Rent and Pride & Prejudice (though I tried to get out of the latter). I was almost up to going to see Capote, but I have such a visceral dislike for that individual I didn't have to watch a movie seeing his utter destruction and down fall. Just was not in that sort of mood. Forgot to mention I also missed Serenity, similar problem to Howl's ... just didn't come nearby and I had scheduling conflicts.

I mix and match: computer - Linux (of course), DVD player, and movie theaters.

* Took extra time to convince my daughter that this would be interesting movie, we had to watch the DVD of Spirited Away first to rouse her interest.
dinotrac

Nov 28, 2005
6:17 PM EDT
txt --

Kung Fu Hustle --

OH YEAH, BABY!!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!