The original article was Journalism?

Story: Reports of Linux's death prematureTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
helios

Nov 28, 2005
4:53 PM EDT
I knew what was in store for me when this "journalist" began his story with:

"The Linux community was left stunned...."

OK, so he gives some questionable statistics...stats that have been correctly countered. Where are the stats to back up that we are "stunned".

I have a 12 year old daughter that knows better than that.

helios
jimf

Nov 28, 2005
5:05 PM EDT
We know from your past posts that your Daughter is sharper than you are anyway... so that analogy's blown. :D
helios

Nov 28, 2005
5:11 PM EDT
LOL...Darn! busted.
tadelste

Nov 28, 2005
7:58 PM EDT
Helios is correct though. The first question is simple "what's a open source community?" Then, "who specifically is in the open source community?" "What specifically tells you they were stunned?"

Some rules the writer broke - "don't use generalizations". The first paragraph should go this this:

Who specifically did what to whom? When did it happen? What were the results? Where did it happen? How did it happen?

You have to get specific and use a referential index or the story is just a bunch of generalizations and is therefore disinformation. The writer suxx.

Oh well, we can't send everyone to J-School.

jimf

Nov 28, 2005
9:35 PM EDT
Oh, no doubt tadelste... helois's 12 year old Daughter could write better than that idiot.... seriously!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!