I don't have no problems with my MAc

Story: Comment of the Day - November 29, 2005 - Maybe Mac Isn't Such a Good AlternativeTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
fernando494

Nov 28, 2005
9:10 PM EDT
I have had several Macs going back a long time. I had a Beige and White and ran OS X on it. I have a blue and white and an iBook and a couple of G4's. I had one problem with the Beige and White. I called and they charged me $35 to fix it over the phone. I had a hard drive that was bad on my iBook, they took it in and in three days I got it back.

All my boxes worked fine and I even develop on them. Everybody is proprietary on the hardware side. Apple is not difference than Dell.

besides, I run Linux on my Apple boxes. Cabron!
SFN

Nov 29, 2005
4:04 AM EDT
"Everybody is proprietary on the hardware side. Apple is not difference than Dell."

I'm not sure I understand your logic here. There is a huge difference in that the hardware for, say, a Mac is simply that - hardware for a Mac.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2005
4:58 AM EDT
I see his point.

Even if you can buy commodity parts and assemble them and they work together doesn't mean they aren't proprietary. The board, memory and peripheral manufacturers are proprietary. Mac's use PC peripherals and memory. They have a different mother board and processor chip but so does Shuttle and Abit.

SFN

Nov 29, 2005
5:54 AM EDT
"Mac's use PC peripherals and memory."

Never having messed with the memory on a Mac, I can't really speak to that but it used to be that peripherals were either Mac or PC. I guess it's been a long time since I used a MAC.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2005
6:24 AM EDT
Quoting:I guess it's been a long time since I used a MAC.

Must have been at least 4-5 years.

SFN

Nov 29, 2005
7:15 AM EDT
"Must have been at least 4-5 years."

Longer than that, actually. 1997.
tuxchick

Nov 29, 2005
8:09 AM EDT
what would be the point of buying a Mac if all you got were the usual off-the-shelf lowest third-world-bidder parts? Then you would have a Dell. Or an XBox.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2005
8:16 AM EDT
Tuxxie: True. They don't necessarily have the usual junk. In fact, the components are high-grade.

number6x

Nov 29, 2005
8:37 AM EDT
Apple has put out a few notable lemons in the mac family ...

**cough** pizza box **cough, cough** performa **cough**

But the reason they stand out as notable is because the hardware is usually top-notch.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2005
8:53 AM EDT
number6x: everyone has put out some lemons. Remember when Dell laptops caught fire? The PS/2 Microchannel by IBM? Gateway Solo Laptops? HP Netservers? Sun - never mind, you get the point.
slippery

Nov 29, 2005
11:47 AM EDT
tadelste: The PS/2 Microchannel was a business failure, but it was a huge technical leap forward at the time. It solved the IRQ configuration problem by dynamically allocating them, resolving conflicts, and it had a 32-bit bus while the ISA bus was 16-bit. A few years later, EISA attempted to accomplish what Microchannel did but did not work as reliably. I am glad Microchannel did not succeed because it would have locked the PC platform back into IBM, but I supported both kinds of PCs back then and they were a breeze to manage when you had to add an expansion card.

I think the author makes a good point about Apple hardware. I admit I am tempted by the high touch designs and OSX, but it seems that Apple has a history of kicking its customers in the groin. Strangely, they don't seem to mind.
TxtEdMacs

Nov 29, 2005
12:02 PM EDT
slippery, when I read this
Quoting: ... Apple has a history of kicking its customers in the groin. Strangely, they don't seem to mind

and I hear James Brown singing: "Feels So Good!".

I wonder why, I am truly perplexed.
tadelste

Nov 29, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
Slippery: acknowledged.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!