so what is the point

Story: The Radical MiddleTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
jimf

Nov 30, 2005
4:34 PM EDT
Yeah, so people may have different opinions. Sorry, I didn't get the point of this article.
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2005
4:52 PM EDT
It does ramble a bit. "At least they're talking" seems to be the theme, and that with a bit of goodwill and listening, we can find common ground.

Which is true sometimes, but often not. When someone holds a position that is completely opposed to what you believe, there is no compromise. "Just talking" reinforces your differences.
jimf

Nov 30, 2005
5:12 PM EDT
It is often possible to agree, or even to agree to disagree as long as one keeps the discussion narrowly defined. Linux is really a good example. I may kid people about using a different Distro, but, I would never discount their choice. Where you can run into problems is when you assume that because someone runs the same Distro or OS, that the same person will agree with you on other issues. For example Politics or Religion. That is the easiest way in the world to loose a ally or a friend.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!