what a terrible article

Story: Time for Linux bigots to take a back seatTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 01, 2005
3:49 PM EDT
man, he lays it on thick:

"flaming Linux bigots" "exploits of problems in Microsoft products coming down...increasing frequency at which problems are being found with Linux and open source code"

This paragraph gets the blue ribbon:

"Secondly, Redmond is likely to step up its efforts to warn customers that deploying Linux and open source solutions could expose them to litigation over patent royalties arising from the use of shared code. (However, the effectiveness of this argument could be blunted if the so-called Open Invention Network -- a company formed by IBM, Sony, Philips, Novell and Red Hat -- is effective in its intention to buy up Linux patents and offer them royalty-free to Linux developers)."

Pure propaganda. I challenge Mr. Ferguson to present some facts.
tadelste

Dec 01, 2005
3:52 PM EDT
Facts, he doesn't deal with facts. He's a genu-wine disinformation junkie. Probably got the 25 rules in his Microsoft handbook for winning stock options.

Oh no, I'm a flaming Linux bigot. He was right.

Oh, I forgot. No flaming Microsoft bigots exist. Actually, you could rewrite this story and put Microsoft everywhere he puts Linux and vice versa.

"flaming Microsoft bigots" "exploits of problems in Linux products coming down...increasing frequency at which problems are being found with Microsoft and proprietary code"

"Secondly, Portland is likely to step up its efforts to warn customers that deploying Microsoft and proprietary solutions could expose them to litigation over patent royalties arising from the use of Microsoft's shared code. (However, the effectiveness of this argument could be blunted if the so-called BSA -- a company formed by IBM, Sony, Philips, Novell and Microsoft -- is effective in its intention to buy up Microsoft patents and offer them royalty-free to Microsoft developers)."

:^D

jimf

Dec 01, 2005
3:59 PM EDT
It has never been my understanding that Linux is solely for the benefit of business interests. Linux has always been open to everyone as long as they follow the rules. Yet we constantly see Gartner and other Corporate interests trying to push this concept. The 'Philips shares Linux patents, royalty-free' article seems to me to be another of these efforts to hijack Linux to the Corporate/business sector. As the current Corporate Business model continues to fail, I expect to see a lot more of this tactic.
fernando494

Dec 01, 2005
4:18 PM EDT
No way. Do people really write this mierda? Who would ever believe them again?
dinotrac

Dec 01, 2005
4:37 PM EDT
The author is wrong for the most obvious of reasons:

Businesses don't give a damn what we think.

At my current worksite, we use Linux for a number of things, including pieces of our primary revenue-producing application.

I have been involved in some linux deployment decisions. They went more or less like this:

1. Is this application suited to Linux (or is offered by its vendor in a Linux version)

2. Will it be stable?

3. Can we get it done in time?

4. What will it cost, including man-hours, etc.

Never once have I been asked whether or not I hate Microsoft, proprietary software, etc.

The fact is that businesses will use Linux when they understand it to make sense for them.

It's amazing how much noise you can ignore when the dollar signs line up right.

helios

Dec 01, 2005
4:59 PM EDT
This is the fact I find most amazing. Little ol' Linux....thrashing away in the backwaters of the IT world and obviously inferior (according to authors such as this); and it is being FUD'ed (did he just say "FUD'ed) like it was going to bankrupt MS tomorrow.

Feel the power Baby...If Redmond is worried, we are doing something right.
Abe

Dec 01, 2005
6:12 PM EDT
"That idealism unfortunately manifests itself most often in online diatribes against Microsoft"

This smart fellow got it badly wrong. Idealism is the source of energy and the driving force that keeps FOSS flourishing. If we divorce from it, there wont be anything left that is worth striving for. Please keep your advice to yourself since we have no time for ignorance.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!