Unfortunate, but true...

Story: Why Open Document Failed In Massachusetts and How it Could Have Been DifferentTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
sbergman27

Dec 03, 2005
6:07 AM EDT
"One thing that I have learned over the years that most people are not interested in ideology or politics, especially when it comes to software. A user does not care whether an application is programmed by a bunch of hobbyists, scientists or a corporation and they do not care if an application follows some international standard."

How different my life (and the world) would be if the above quote from the article were not so true.
dinotrac

Dec 03, 2005
10:43 AM EDT
Steve --

I don't know that the world is so irrational.

We can't -- and don't -- care about everything in our world. We care about things that we understand to matter to us.

Unfortunately, many in the free software community -- and yes, I know I'm slinging stereotypes -- are a bit, ummm, insular. Unwilling or unable to view free software in terms of concrete benefits to non-believers, they are equally unable to sell the benefits to non-believers.

I have the same problem, and technical incompetence probably leaves me better equipped to commiserates with ordinary users than most.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!