Not for the faint of heart...

Story: Cool tool: Blender, for all your 3D needsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 06, 2005
7:01 PM EDT
Blender is serious software for serious work.

The interface is...well...I've finally made it through the walking 3d gingerbread man tutorial with something that doesn't look too scary, even though his gait is a bit on the keep on truckin' side.

It is, however, an absolute gas to screw around with, particularly since, at some point, you are bound to end up with something worth calling the spouse/child/life partner/housebreaker over and saying --"Hey!! Look what I made!"

If you know what you're doing, even the sky is no limit.

Hmmmmm......Cinelerra is just about my favorite Open-Source app, and I like the Gimp, too.

Ya know...Maybe this explains why I tend to refer to FOSS interfaces as lagging the usability of their commercial counterparts.

I do have a knack for picking the oddballs...

jimf

Dec 06, 2005
8:33 PM EDT
Yeah, Blender can be a handful, but worthwhile learning. Gimp has also been steadily been gaining all it needs to be a class act, and inkscape is very nice for precision work. The interfaces with these apps may be a little rougher than their Win counterparts, and perhaps harder to use, but, the final product is second to none.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!