mostly converted.

Story: Are You Replacing Windows with GNU/Linux?Total Replies: 5
Author Content
tjhanson

Dec 06, 2005
7:02 PM EDT
My vote is that this is was a long process. There was never a moment when, in a fit of frustration, I wiped my drives and installed Linux on everything. After experiencing the annoyance during my OS/2 days, I never suffered through another dual boot. Now, years after my first install, I'm pretty much moved over.

I was an Atari, then DOS, then Windows user from the mid-eighties. I reluctantly gave up on OS/2 in 1996. I was never a for-a-living computer guy; always just a hobbyist. Back in the late '80s I wondered about Unix but couldn't take part because of the cost, both software and hardware. My first exposure to the name "Linux" was in a BYTE magazine article sometime in the early nineties, and considering my general curiosity about Unix, I looked for ways to start using it. About this time also, I became disenchanted with available hardware from the likes of Compaq and Packard Bell, and resolved to build a Linux computer from scratch.

There were milestones along the way:

After distribution shopping through Slackware, Red Hat, and Caldera, I finally landed on SuSE 5.2 because of the "kitchen sink" quantity of software on the CDs, plus the fact that was led rather painlessly into X for the first time.

Instead of a new computer one year, I devoted the money to one of those multiple computer, single display, keyboard, and mouse hardware switches. I still use it for some things.

I said bye-bye to dialup, hello to cable. This made Linux ten times more appealing. I was able to cobble together a dedicated firewall out of old parts using SuSE 6.4.

I bought a license for VMware. Since I'm not a Windows gamer, VMware took away the last reason to keep Windows running on its own hardware, which meant one less box on the shelf. I was still using some Windows applications, but now they were a mouse click away.

I bought a Compaq laptop that was Linux friendly.

Netscape for Linux gave way to Mozilla, which took away any reason to ever run IE for anything.

Finally, I bought a license for Crossover, which allowed me to run Quicken, my last remaining "must have" Windows program.

That was it. When I went to 64 bits I never got around to installing VMware for it. My current laptop, an HP, has never booted Windows. My Treo syncs flawlessly with kontact. I guess that is the end.
dcparris

Dec 06, 2005
8:28 PM EDT
If you don't mind paying for a QuickBooks clone, MyBooks runs on GNU/Mac/Win - and it's a fair bit cheaper than QuickBooks too. It ain't libre, but not everyone is concerned about using non-libre software. That would be appgen.com, if you're interested.
helios

Dec 07, 2005
6:42 AM EDT
Good point Don. We run MyBooks Pro for our business and besides importing the quickbooks/quicken data files, I can access my books from anywhere there is a computer connection.

The point of it not being libre is a sore one with many, but I will bring up an important point. To my knowledge, there is not a developer of open source software that is going to keep up with the tax and stock updates for free. That in itself turns into a full time job and I can understand why no one would be interested in doing so. That being said, the Kmymoney2 release is nothing short of magnificent. If I were to start a business today or only had a small amount of time and data within my quicken/quickbooks, I would look at Kmymoney2. They have done some magnificent work there AND it is open source and free in all aspects.
dcparris

Dec 07, 2005
10:27 AM EDT
KMyMoney2??? It doesn't strike me as a small business program. I guess I really need to spend some time in it. GnuCash handles payroll, but I see no such functionality for KMyMoney2.

Why does MyBooks seem like such a big secret though? It's like no one's ever heard of it or used it. That said, at one time, it was - iirc - open source, and they do still offer the source code if you're willing to pay for it. I think they should just pull a Red Hat and use a trademark. Still, I have wondered why there haven't been more libre accounting apps. despite my opposition to anything proprietary, I have downloaded and will run the trial version just to give it a spin.
helios

Dec 08, 2005
4:06 AM EDT
Don, I am thinking ahead of myself...to our detriment this time, usually it works out for our good. The Kmymoney team is currently working on a payroll system. It should be ready with the .9 release. We are in contact with Ace Jones and some of the other developers from time to time and they are extremely devoted to this project.

As far as MyBooks Pro, I don't know why they are still in the backwaters. I will call Joanie Mann today and see what I can find out and also see if I can get a new interview with her. I believe she spends two weeks in December in Jackson Hole WY.

Tough duty.

dcparris

Dec 08, 2005
8:13 PM EDT
My Pa used to go elk hunting out there until about two years ago. The guide invited him "on the house" every year, and finally gave up the lodge, apparently frustrated with changes in the system.

As for MyBooks, I bet they have a nice business, even if not quite booming. I'm glad to hear about MyBooks working on payroll. GnuCash is a pain to split transactions. I have to re-read the instructions and re-enter the splits a dozen times to get it right. I've heard others complain about its not-so-user-friendly interface.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!