Hit Google ad. on QuickBooks and got MS

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Dec 08, 2005
9:50 AM EDT
Perhaps it was my error, but I thought QuickBooks were the Windows accounting software packages put out by a MS competitor. If I am mistaken - forget my complaint.

However, if QuickBooks are that must have application so many hang onto Windows to use, then why was I linked here: http://www.microsoft.com/ ? I just wondered if they were going to advertise they were considering a Linux release. Personally I do not care after my last (really used) Windows machine croaked that contained my custom coded expense tracking application I switched quickly to Gnumeric on Linux. Works for me.
TxtEdMacs

Dec 08, 2005
10:00 AM EDT
Disappeared before I made a copy, however, the Google ad said approximately: "QuickBook ... head quarters". MS attempted to buy Intuit, but was blocked. Unless the Bush Dept. of (in)Justice gave a quick go ahead to my knowledge MS does NOT own QuickBooks. How are these ads being hijacked?
TxtEdMacs

Dec 08, 2005
10:04 AM EDT
This time I caught a real copy (confirmed again, still going to MS):

Quoting: QuickBooks Official Site Advanced, Award-Winning Software. QuickBooks 2006, Buy Now!

Ads by Goooooogle
dcparris

Dec 08, 2005
8:16 PM EDT
I think you want http://www.intuit.com
TxtEdMacs

Dec 09, 2005
4:19 AM EDT
Really do no want either, just wondering if Intuit was announcing a move to another OS. Afterwards wondering how MS is linked to a competitor's ad - accidental?
pmcc

Dec 18, 2005
6:01 AM EDT
If I'm not mistaken, Ads by Goooooooogle (Google for short) allow anyone who buys into them, to word the links however they choose. Unfortunately, these ads are just another method for roping people into thinking they are going somewhere they're not intending on going. In other words, these ads are just as bad as popups, without actually having a popup. IMO, they're just another form of SPAM, and they are nothing more than annoying pieces of wasted web space.

I wish I were wrong on this, but I am disgusted by the number of sites that have these ads peppered all over the place (even if it's only 2 or 3 ads being displayed). I hate going to a site that has these ads (especially when they're stuck right in the middle of an article that I'm interested in), esp. when I know I will never click on them personally. Unfortunately, even this site has them posted on here too, but that is LXer's right to do so.

Anyway, I hope this helps some. More research might need to be made at Google to find out exactly how they work. All I know, through my own personal research is that you insert a small snippet of code somewhere on a web page, and the ads that get displayed are suppose to be relevant to what you specify. That's why I believe the "QuickBooks" link you found, somebody paid a certain amount which forces it to the top of whatever list (say within a financial category), and wording it to make people think it's where they are going, only to have it take them somewhere completely different.
TxtEdMacs

Dec 18, 2005
11:53 AM EDT
Claiming you are Intuit, if it's still an independent vendor and taking you to a Microsoft page smacks more of fraud even if it was executed through a Google code flaw. This more akin to the PayPal updates that steal credit card (and I suppose other) information.
Abe

Dec 18, 2005
12:06 PM EDT
If that is the case, I would say Google has to pay more attention to the quality of its ads.

Google ads are much more less annoying than many others and considering the fact that, many of the Internet site carrying them have to survive, a little of ads here and there but in good taste is not that bad at all. I think Lxer has a very good balance and it could take more ads. without offending or being intrusive.
pmcc

Dec 18, 2005
1:10 PM EDT
Sure Google ads are not as annoying as popups, but this is just my personal opinion. That being said, I'm just one person out of millions who hates seeing them. I have several sites myself, and yet you won't see one single "Google ad" on any of them anywhere. I don't need visitors to my sites getting distracted by anything else. I want visitors to my sites to stay tuned into my content. People are distracted enough as it is, and if I can make a difference by keeping their focus on the information at hand, as well as making the site navigation as easy as possible, then I've accomplished my goal.

When it comes to websites, there is no right or wrong way of designing them, it's just personal taste. And, my personal taste prefers very few or no ads at all. I fully fund all of my sites myself, and I am not losing money by doing so. If I design a site for someone, and they want to put Google ads on there, I will first explain my reasons for not putting them on, and if they still insist, I tell them to take their site to somebody else.

I'm not here to start a flame war or anything like that. I'm just one guy who is stating my personal opinions. LXer is a great site. I'm glad I found it. I have nothing against this site whatsoever. I just hate seeing Google ads, popups, excessive use of Flash, and anything else that I feel is annoying on any site, that's all.
pmcc

Dec 18, 2005
1:24 PM EDT
Just a side note from my previous comment:

This really is a great site, and I certainly don't want to offended anyone by anything I have to say. These forums are great for voicing our opnions, and I don't want anything I say being blown out of proportion.

I really enjoy the discussions here, and I hope that nobody's feelings get hurt by something I believe should be interpreted one way, but is somehow taken a completely different way.

All-in-all, I really do appreciate the replies, views, and comments on all topics.
Abe

Dec 18, 2005
1:54 PM EDT
At lxer, as you have noticed, personal tasteful opinions are well respected. I too, like many other readers I am sure, feel that Lxer is well liked because its quality and pleasant format.

Since you support your own sites, I am sure you know that it takes an effort and revenue to maintain quality and availability. One thing I don't understand is, and I hope you don't mind asking, is how can you support your sites without any revenue?
pmcc

Dec 18, 2005
3:40 PM EDT
Abe... I work for a good friend of mine as a sub-contractor. In my spare time, I work on his company's web site, and I am compensated for my work. The money I make from there helps finance my other sites. The time involved is definitely exhausting, and I know that there is so much more that can be done to improve them. I'm gradually getting to the point where I am receiving more work than I can handle, and this will eventually develop into a full-time business for me. As a matter of fact, I currently have three more clients who I will be developing sites for after the first of the year.

The one thing that everyone seems to like about my work is that when I do create a site for a client, that site promotes their business, and nobody elses. They appreciate that their visitors aren't being bothered by anything else.

Well, I hope that answers your question.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!