Advantages over LTSP?

Story: Innovative New Software Helps Linux Users Double Their DesktopsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
Alcibiades

Dec 18, 2005
3:27 AM EDT
Anyone know what they are? LTSP at least you get to run the remotes over ethernet with a local graphics card, and you can put them within reason anywhere you want. Here it seems you have to have multiple cards and long VGA cables, and long is not very.

(a) it limits placement (b) it gets expensive. Guess you have to have a base station for LTSP, but you can do with old P3s with no disks for very little money. Is this the whole story? If so, why does anyone buy it?
devnet

Dec 18, 2005
10:28 AM EDT
If you'd have read the article...you'd see that there is:

1 COMPUTER

10 Monitors

10 Desktops

Now do you see how it differs from LTSP? LTSP would require 10 computers with RAM. This is very innovative software. I'd like to see it work.

Actually reading the article helps much.
TxtEdMacs

Dec 18, 2005
11:44 AM EDT
Actually this is old, at least in concept, my first client had a similar setup in the DOS world where one box ran several different users. It was tight, and might have topped out at about three users for the disc and memory they had in their office. I remember it being Nothern(something or other), I was doing custom coding of database and reporting. It was not much fun at all. [Late eighties]
devnet

Dec 19, 2005
3:45 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs,

As long as you didn't tight roll your jeans then you were fine. Database guys thinking they're in style *shudder*

;)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!