Whatever happened to four missing threads?

Story: Congress: Clear the Air and Stop PreloadsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
mvermeer

Dec 18, 2005
11:09 AM EDT
Inquiring minds wish to know.
dinotrac

Dec 18, 2005
11:22 AM EDT
Martin --

I'm inclined to agree with you.

I know that Tom sometimes removes abusive postings, but it looks like the definition of abuse is moving awfully close to "doesn't agree with me".

I hope that I'm wrong.
mvermeer

Dec 18, 2005
12:07 PM EDT
Removing abusive posts is fine, if it is based on policy. It doesn't even matter much what that policy is, as long as it is knowable by the poster.

E.g., Pamela Jones will wipe 'foul language' that was foul around 1950, but has since become mainstream. You know, like 'smartass'. It does make posting a bit challenging sometimes, like having to write an essay without using the letter Q. But that's her right...

However this feels more like a software bug to me. I hope that's what it is, and that it gets fixed. I am completely demotivated to post when anything may happen. Ah well, with 15,000 readers, who needs posters anyway.
tadelste

Dec 18, 2005
1:23 PM EDT
Martin --

When we delete a thread or a post, it doesn't update the history. That's a bug and it's reported.

Contrary to the "doesn't agree with me" remark, we don't moderate unless a post or thread becomes abusive. Dino knows what abusive around here means. We don't use Pamela Jones or anyone else as a reference. Flame baiting, attacking someone's person, religion, family member, or going totally off topic will justify a delete.

It doesn't happen much. It seems coincidential that you caught about the only ones we've moderated off.

mvermeer

Dec 18, 2005
10:25 PM EDT
OK. Thanks Tom.
tadelste

Dec 19, 2005
8:07 AM EDT
You're welcome.
NoDough

Dec 19, 2005
11:57 AM EDT
Flame baiting, attacking someone's person, religion, family member, or going totally off topic will justify a delete.

What if Windows is their religion? ;->

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!