Somewhat misleading article

Story: Firefox is streets ahead of IE on European computersTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
richo123

Dec 19, 2005
10:37 AM EDT
They say firefox is ahead of exploder err IE but the study that they cite shows that IE has 79% and FF 12% in Europe.

http://www.adtech.info/en/news.html

Over hyping a very encouraging trend is not a good thing.
tadelste

Dec 19, 2005
10:55 AM EDT
The author of the story is alluding to qualitative factors not market share. While, I wouldn't have written the title the same way, the story itself isn't misleading IMO.
richo123

Dec 20, 2005
4:35 AM EDT
The first line of the article states:

"Mozilla's Firefox browser is now ahead of the Internet Explorer in terms of usage on European computers."

This is not borne out by the study they cite.
tadelste

Dec 20, 2005
8:15 AM EDT
Quoting:A study by technology company AdTech says that the popularity of the open-source browser has grown by 40 percent over the last six months.

You're right it is misleading. We should do something else about it. This is a serious crime and I'd like to get the people involved admitted to the MILOSEVIC trial. In fact, I'm placing a call at this very moment.

The idea of someone being wrong about something this important leads to possible negative publicity. I'm also going to instruct all the editors that post articles here to read the materials more carefully. This is a much bigger issue than it seems. The ramifications dwarf every other problem with which we're dealing at the moment.

I think we should mark this as a turning point in the policies of the editorial staff. I'm going to plan a three day seminar to study how this occurred and how it wound up on the most important newswire in the world. We simply cannot afford a mistake this big. It makes Dan Rather look pale in comparison.

I still believe the story, but I can't prove it.

We need to study how we shoud research the techniques used to gather this data.
richo123

Dec 20, 2005
5:06 PM EDT
Sheesh Tom, just pointing out a crappy mistake. ;-) ;-) and not even on Lxer.
tadelste

Dec 20, 2005
6:44 PM EDT
Like tuxchick used to ask, can't I have fun too? ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!