Dogpile to Buy Opera (what the heck)

Story: After Google, Microsoft is RUMORED to have bought Opera!Total Replies: 4
Author Content
Inhibit

Dec 23, 2005
10:39 AM EDT
Okay, since everyone seems to be rebounding links about Opera being bought I'll state that Dogpile is buying Opera. This link links to a post that itself links to someone else's article who appears to have read the original articles in the reverse order they went up. We're now redundantly linking to rumors about rumors.
tadelste

Dec 23, 2005
10:51 AM EDT
Yes. It's definitely so.
sbergman27

Dec 24, 2005
4:50 PM EDT
Just to clear up all the confusion and misconceptions regarding this issue, I feel that I should make this announcement. Don't tell anyone because it is not supposed to be public info until Monday. But... between you and me, I just bought Opera. I'm sure that the Opera management will deny it until then, but take it from me, it's true. We (me and my team) intend to discontinue the Opera brand. But Opera fans need not fear. We will be folding *all* of Opera's features into Firefox.

Just thought you'd like to know ahead of time.

-Steve
jimf

Dec 24, 2005
5:22 PM EDT
Well, much as I doubt you on this one Steve, I can see why the boys at Firefox might want the code.
tadelste

Dec 25, 2005
7:38 AM EDT
Jim, Steve didn't want to disclose that it was a joint purchase. Steve and I bought it and we're considering donating it back to Opera as a FOSS browser project focused solely on Microsoft XML Office format.. They have to add extensions as part of the conditions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!