sudo timeout

Story: Comment of the Day - January 5, 2006 - Fundamental Mistake in Article About UbuntuTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
unixisbetter

Jan 05, 2006
6:27 PM EDT
The sudo timeout can be a little tricky. It works within the same shell instance, allowing me to do many consecutive "sudo" things within the timeout period after just one password challenge. If I start Synaptic within that timeout I'll still have to render the password again. And if I start a new shell and use sudo there, I'll have to supply the password yet again even if I'm well within the time limit on my original shell. The notion of a login session that applies to all the programs I'm using while I'm logged in isn't the way sudo manages authentication, and that is as it should be.

For the user who needs to do several things that require root privileges, the simplest thing to do may be to just get a root prompt: sudo -s -H and keep that session around until finished. Needless to say, if you need to walk away you should control-d that session first!
SFN

Jan 05, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
"The notion of a login session that applies to all the programs I'm using while I'm logged in isn't the way sudo manages authentication, and that is as it should be."

That's pretty much where I come from as well. Being bothereed by the fact that sudo doesn't allow you to just login as root and stay that way has that whole "the stuff I was saving in my Deleted Items folder has been deleted" feel to it. (That's just fresh on my mind because I'm hearing that a lot lately)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!