Teddy Roosevelt

Story: Does the DoJ Use Microsoft as a Shill Against Linux?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
richo123

Jan 10, 2006
12:46 PM EDT
It's clear that the ant-trust laws are not being enforced because the GOP are effectively being bribed by Microsoft (let's call a spade a spade here). The interesting thing historically is that the anti-trust laws were brought in for a very clear reason: To break up Standard Oil and to break the power of Rockefeller. How is it that Teddy Roosevelt (a Republican) was driven to do this and moreover succeeded whereas the present spineless GOP would not dare attempt the same thing now? Is the system an order of magnitude more corrupt now than in Teddy's day? Interesting historical question I think..... Or is it simply a party political matter: The Democrats under Clinton almost succeeded in breaking up M$ after all... Views, Discussion...
tadelste

Jan 10, 2006
12:51 PM EDT
I don't think it was the dems under Clinton. I think it was the dems minus Clinton. Too bad it didn't last.

But if we're calling a spade, a spade. Then it doesn't matter much which party they belong to - they're all politicans.
richo123

Jan 10, 2006
1:58 PM EDT
Yeah but so was Teddy. Question is why isn't there more pressure in this case. My poor understanding of early 20th century US politics was that Rockefeller was demonized. I visited his mansion (its near Tarrytown NY) once and the guide told us that he was once the most hated man in the US. I wouldn't put Bill Gates in that category at all. Perhaps that is the true function of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
tadelste

Jan 10, 2006
2:45 PM EDT
He was less of a politican than anyone might imagine. Actually, he may have been the last real American. And from what I've read, he was not heralded in his own time.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!