video games, the only good point, but a double-edged sword

Story: 2006 is NOT the year for Linux on the desktopTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
mcinsand

Jan 11, 2006
4:11 AM EDT
The article's claims run 180° to my experiences, with the exception that I do use an ndiswrapper (until I finally get around to installing that Atheros-equipped card) and video games have kept one box in our house on XP. Otherwise, I can get flashplayer, MP3's, Realplayer, etc. going on a new Linux install in about 5 minutes. Video is far better on our Linux PC, but that may be because the onboard-graphics on the Linux motherboard is more modern and higher end than the Nvidia card on the XP box. Linux hardware support has been far superior in our experiences; Linux saw the SMART error on a hard drive that XP missed, Fedora 2 with Gnome was faster on our 466 MHz Celeron than Win-98, Fedora 4 with Gnome was far faster on an Athlon 2.2 than XP (and it eliminated a need to reboot twice daily to restore internet access), Fedora handles our Sony CD-RW although Windows intermittently fails to finish a disk write. Back to the point, though...

My kids like the Sims 2, and I like the way the game makes them think, but there is no emulator or service that will presently allow the Sims 2 to run under Linux. For a month, we had the main family computer running Fedora 4, but the kids missed the Sims 2. So, I put the PC back on XP. Ironically, there was universal whining about going back to Windows' instability and slowness, but they can use the Linux PC for internet surfing.

The other edge to the video game sword is that PC games are not nearly so big of a factor now as they were 5 years ago. It was MS's Xbox that enabled me to pry Windows off of one PC for my original Linux/'BSD experiments. Except for the above-mentioned game, my kids focus on the Xbox.

Later, mcinsand

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!