What do you think of GPL 3

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tadelste

Jan 17, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
We here at LXer would like to know what you think about the new draft of the GPL.

• What is your initial reaction?

• What do you think of the GPL's response to DRM?

• How well do you think the draft addresses code used by ASPs?

• What issues do you need clarified?

• What other questions do you have?

• jimf

Jan 17, 2006
    12:40 PM EDT
    Lol, this is out of my area of expertese... Where are the Lawers now that we need their input :D
    bstadil

Jan 17, 2006
    7:34 PM EDT
    There is a good comparison of v3 draft vs V2 over at Groklaw http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060117122603204
    dcparris

Jan 17, 2006
    9:09 PM EDT
    I was sure someone had an opinion on the new terms. It's difficult for me to imagine an audience with no opinion. Of course, it is taking time to digest. Still, opinions are welcome here.
    number6x

Jan 18, 2006
    7:34 AM EDT
    I think I'll wait for more experienced and informed people to write about it.

It doesn't seem that different. Most of the changes seem to clarify things better.

Other than that it looks the same to my un-educated eyes.
    dcparris

Jan 18, 2006
    9:13 AM EDT
    O.k., I'll see if I can walk our readers through it. There are actually a couple of interesting changes.
    bdumm

Jan 18, 2006
    11:47 AM EDT
    The whole add your own clause stuff, seems like a can of worms just waiting to be opened.

Which means that for the two important updates, they punted the ball. Then they thought they were kicking a field goal with the DRM, but it went wide left. ie I really don't think it will have much effect.

All this time for an update and this is it?
    jimf

Jan 18, 2006
    12:36 PM EDT
    This is proving what I had suspected all along. Most of us can figure out what the darn thing is saying if we really take the time and concentrate. The problem is that I suspect that most will also have a splitting headache (I Know I have one of those) by the time they are finished :( . I agree with bdumm... Not much difference.
    bdumm

Jan 18, 2006
    1:51 PM EDT
    jimf: as my lawyer likes to tell me though, legalese is not english. So I dunno, if us techs could figure it out anyways..... ;)
    jimf

Jan 18, 2006
    2:11 PM EDT
    bdumm,

you're right. I think i know what it says, but, by the time the Lawyers get through with the interpretation... who knows.
    grouch

Mar 13, 2006
    7:56 AM EDT
    The goal is to protect those 4 user freedoms. It's not to prevent profit, use or mixing with other licenses.

GPLv2 has withstood a long pounding and came up short in only a couple of areas. I'm glad to see GPLv3 will have only fine tuning and not a complete overhaul. Imagine you wrote some code that did not need editing for 15 years, then one of your clients managed to squeak past one bounds check. Would you rewrite it or just clean up a bit?

Since no one has provided a link to it yet... http://gplv3.fsf.org/

Now is the time to voice any concerns, using their comments link.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!