Sue Microsoft

Story: Winds of Change are Swirling Around LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
qcimushroom

Jan 17, 2006
4:29 PM EDT
A class action law suit on behalf of all Linux vendors for damages done - by inferring that Linux is an inferior OS. - by using miss-leading or rigged studies in their "get the facts" campaign. - by using the word “Linux” in much of their on line advertising to divert traffic to their site.

And many more

Isn't about time Microsoft started paying for their attack on Linux !
tadelste

Jan 17, 2006
5:53 PM EDT
I'm not a lawyer even though a few years ago, I did litigation support and taught security law at the university level. I know just enough to make a mess of things. So, anything you get out of me is basically worthless.

I talked to the Department of Justice about Microsoft. Almost every issue I brought up they said that Microsoft was not doing anything illegal. So, I went the legislative route. We could have altered the state's procurement practices and driven some market changes. But, Microsoft is on to that. They have their team together, their bases covered and the play hardball.

I think that the legal route won't work but the legislative and enforcement route could. That's where I suggest people put their attention and efforts.

jimf

Jan 17, 2006
8:59 PM EDT
I think that the legal route won't work but the legislative and enforcement route could. That's where I suggest people put their attention and efforts.

Examples of what might work please?
tadelste

Jan 18, 2006
7:59 AM EDT
Altering procurement rules which force best cost-value into the selection process. New definition of Open Systems that would obviously end Microsoft fitting the Open System definition. Changing the audit requirements of monopolies. If a company is deemed a monopoly, more detailed disclosures should be detailed in annual SEC filings and "non-compliance" letters would force the government to take action or implement a cease and desist order.
jimf

Jan 18, 2006
9:06 AM EDT
Thanks Tom, that helps :)

tadelste

Jan 18, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
You're quite welcome.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 18, 2006
1:07 PM EDT
I couldn't agree more. Getting Microsoft defined out of government procurement would be a tremendous coup for "free" software.

There is no way to attack Microsoft with law, because Microsoft owns the best lawyers. Their only vulnerability is that their business model is based on the impression that they are the "best" or "only" alternative.

Break that, as was nearly done in Massachusetts, and Microsoft cannot compete.

(Getting rid of government would be even better. At least Microsoft and their BSA only have power over you if you are using their product.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!