Does any system copy itself?

Story: Linux Should Be Easier To CloneTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
peragrin

Jan 21, 2006
4:56 PM EDT
Does Windows have a built in command for copying itself? or does any Unix? Nope I can tell you why. When you have to pay for each copy of the OS your using the companies are going to make sure it isn't too easy to make duplicates of it.

How does this pertain to Linux and other Free OS's. Well they just haven't bothered. In most cases there are third party tools to do. network bandwidth isn't reliable enough for that. Think how long it would take to copy a gig over a 100 base t network.

It would be faster to store the desired image or images on a notebook running linux/OS X and have a firewire enclosure that you can pull the HD out insert it into the firewire enclosure make your copies and put everything back to together. You then have more tools at your disposal if something is wrong the the HD.
bstadil

Jan 21, 2006
5:46 PM EDT
Quoting:Think how long it would take to copy a gig over a 100 base t network.
Yes those 2 minutes feels like an eternity. ;-) Network install is often faster than CD's as you do not have to change. SUSE has a nifty utility buildt into Yast where you can chose ftp, or NSF mount in addition to the CD.

I can install SUSE faster over the internet than via CDs locally.

jimf

Jan 21, 2006
6:14 PM EDT
Yep, that's the way Debian Netinstall works. About the same or a bit less than doing it from the CD's... Assuming you have broadband.
peragrin

Jan 22, 2006
4:57 AM EDT
Quoting: Yes those 2 minutes feels like an eternity. ;-) Network install is often faster than CD's as you do not have to change. SUSE has a nifty utility buildt into Yast where you can chose ftp, or NSF mount in addition to the CD.

I can install SUSE faster over the internet than via CDs locally.

A network install isn't an image copy. You are copying thousands of small files around. How fast can you copy a DVD over a network. One big file generally takes longer unless your using something like bit torrent to break it up into smaller sections. I can send a two dozen 1mb files faster than i can send one 24mb file, as I can establish a different connection for each file. You can't do that with one file unless it is broken up.
golem

Jan 22, 2006
12:59 PM EDT
Cloning a system is not a basic function, but still there are ways to do it (see previous posts). And if there weren't, there would still be a solution: WRITE IT YOURSELF.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!