Actually you are missing it a bit

Story: Is there an open source community?Total Replies: 0
Author Content
jayrfink

Jan 23, 2006
12:10 AM EDT
For a lot of people Open Source is a political/religous ideology. The idea of trading what many people call Open Source was , in the late 1970s and early 1980s, just something you did because outside of Mainframes and microcomputers - there was no operating system..

I can only relate what I know; when I started digital electronics, passing programs along was simply something we did. I grew up in a place where computers were not normal. I discovered a great deal when I left that place. I was - stunned - to say the least; when I followed the BSD and UNIX wars shortly thereafter.

I have filled a lot of roles since then, I have troubleshot circuits down to - literally - their base components, I have written/fixed an endless number of utilities and ultimately wrote a kernel interface.

I would like just one person (Bruce Perens comes to mind) to actually elaborate on this post - Open Source is not revolution: sometimes it is just natural.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!